Author Topic: Midtown modding?  (Read 1186 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Midtown modding?
« on: October 04, 2014, 11:02:16 AM »
Has anyone here tried modding a Midtown bass (either kind) with an actual mudbucker instead of a TB+ in disguise?  Good/bad idea?  Better idea when the old Midtowns are being sold at knockdown prices right now?  Perhaps anyone has other suggestions?  Curtis Novak seems to have several options for under the mudbucker cover.  If I'm going down the custom route then maybe a coil split could be an interesting option at the neck.

Over to you...
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Midtown modding?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
Just my opinion but the Novak Fakebucker I put in an NR I built for a customer was underwhelming.  Customer admitted it was a mistake a few months after delivery.  It has a very limited tonal range, the pole pieces are non functional and height adjustment of the pickup is nearly impossible because the coil just floats under the cover.

...except for that it was GREAT!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 03:53:36 PM »
If you are going down that road put in an original... works for me in my T'bird... mind you, I split the coil and fitted a rotary switch...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 04:56:46 AM »
I agree.  I'd consider an original humbucker.  Novak can wind those pups any way you want.  If I went with a Novak, I'd want a high output version, not a modern setup.  That might make the difference.  I too prefer the adjustable pole screws of an original.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 07:25:11 AM »
I like the sound of my Midtown as is. No, it ain't hifi, but that is not what you would expect with a bass as retro-styled as this one. The off-the-rack Fakebucker is warm and phat, not much transparence, but then you are hardly gonna play Roundabout or Tom Sawyer with that bass. As Mark has quite rightly observed, it's more to jam along CCR records.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:42:39 AM »

It sounded so good copping the bass on "Old Admirals" by Al Stewart! Kind of a woofy tuba - Good enough reason to learn the song, especially accompanying the horns.
It was very at home with Gordon Lightfoot's "Canadian Railway Trilogy", lovely song, the bass suited it well  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »
I have thought of taking my Lull pickup from the Epi Bird, and mounting it with double sided tape in the "mid" position - flat on the surface of the body - and running the wire down into the F hole. It's short enough in height that it should work. That way I don't have to take a chance on messing up the body if I goof with the router.