Author Topic: 2014 Bullion Gold EB bass  (Read 4222 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Bullion Gold EB bass
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »
Not a gold fan here either but it looks very nice. As for the unfilled ash grain, I'd say it's a typical piece, and you knew in advance that it's not filled.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2014, 03:19:50 AM »
Not a gold fan here either but it looks very nice. As for the unfilled ash grain, I'd say it's a typical piece, and you knew in advance that it's not filled.

I was indeed well aware, but I saw some rather smoother looking ones on YouTube videos so I did hope I might get lucky. Although it was a bit disappointing when I first opened the case, it's a non issue as far as I'm concerned, because it sounds so fine. I haven't really thought about it since because it's so flipping GOLD. I think I'll call it Jill. Pretty sure they didn't grain fill her before they painted her gold either ;)
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2014, 07:36:26 AM »
Looking at the Gibson website, it looks like the badly cut pick guard is another common fit and finish flaw. It's especially evident in the large picture of the Natural vintage gloss on the 2014 EB page. If you're getting a new guard, I humbly suggest looking at tort for Jill. I could see a reddish tint tort looking good with the gold. I even think the tort material Gibson is using on the other EB basses is a nice shade and would be a good pick if you can get a replacement of the same kind.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 03:56:03 AM »
A wee update - I've used the EB at a couple of band rehearsals now and it's been an interesting experience.  First one was with my wee 250W 1x10 combo in a big room and it was pretty simple to get a nice sound by fiddling with the coil taps (I had one in and one out but I can't remember which) instead of adjusting my amp.  The second one was a different matter - 500W Ampeg 8x10 rig in a small practice room.  So thick with mids, I swear this is the first time I've ever dialled mids OUT for live band playing.  Took me a couple of songs to get it right, that confused I was!  Once I got going though, I again found that cutting, authoritative tone chiming through.  I think I tapped both pickups to get enough bite and clarity.

Getting less and less bothered about the visible grain with every play because it's a great bass to play.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons