Author Topic: Check the simple stuff first!  (Read 9791 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Check the simple stuff first!
« on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:49 AM »
It was the lead.  After panicking and dismantling the cab, checking the driver and the tweeter in isolation, putting it all back together, getting the same problem through headphones (d'oh!), it was the bloody lead.

Potentially save yourself time and anguish - check the simple stuff first.

That is all, apart from the fact that I'm a relieved man with a not broken amp.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Check the simple stuff first!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:37:47 AM »
While working on cars over the years, I developed this rule:

Always figure out the simplest thing that can cause a problem, and look there first. Most of the time you'll find it there.

Glad you found it!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:57:50 AM »
LOL, bud; been there (usually after a few brews).

For some reason, I am much better at avoiding this trap when I am looking at other people's gear problems.  I suppose because I am not , in the back of my head, worried that I'ma gonna have to shell out a lot of coin to fix the issue.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:44:40 AM »
LOL, bud; been there (usually after a few brews).

For some reason, I am much better at avoiding this trap when I am looking at other people's gear problems.  I suppose because I am not , in the back of my head, worried that I'ma gonna have to shell out a lot of coin to fix the issue.

Same for me!  Perhaps it's easier to be dispassionate and logical when it's your own problem.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 05:35:15 AM »
Why is that? I have this incredible streak of genius when solving a problem for someone else, and I have this incredible streak of dumb ass when trying to solve a problem of my own ??? :P.

Rick

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 07:13:15 AM »
Good news everyone; we're all human!
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 09:57:50 AM »
Why is that? I have this incredible streak of genius when solving a problem for someone else, and I have this incredible streak of dumb ass when trying to solve a problem of my own ??? :P.

Rick

I suspect it's related to the phenomenon that takes place when I try to explain a problem to someone else.

Halfway through the explanation, I realize what the solution is!

I suspect it's because that attempt at explanation is the first time I've actually tried to organize my thoughts in a logical, coherent fashion.  That's exactly what we do in analyzing the problems that others have encountered.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 04:45:56 PM »
Disregard - error - error - everybody to get from street (The Russians Are Coming, 1966)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »
Al... I've just spotted another Pilgrim on the boards... hiding behind a "9" ... :o

I'm going to take my meds and go lie down for a while... :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »
Al... I've just spotted another Pilgrim on the boards... hiding behind a "9" ... :o

I'm going to take my meds and go lie down for a while... :sad: