Author Topic: Red "Money" bass?  (Read 3609 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Red "Money" bass?
« on: November 21, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »
I have read (through some searching on here, oh yes!) that the main difference between the original LP Doublecut and the GoW Money bass is that there's a wadge of walnut between the maple top and the mahogany in the case of the Money, where as the DC is a straight Maple/hog sandwich.

Thing is, I've seen this red DC with what appears to be a dark stripe between the maple and the mahogany.  It's also a flame maple top, not quilt.  What gives?  Refin?  Gibson being weird (like that would ever happen)?  Did any Money basses get done red by mistake?  Is it a transitional model?

Regular DC:

Red DC with suspicious stripe:

Me == confused.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: Red "Money" bass?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:07:27 PM »
Who knows maybe Gibson was experimenting and slipped some walnut into the double cut basses as well. Production numbers weren't high on this model and it was the first bass with that shape, so that makes me think Gibson could have been a bit fast and loose with their design specs. I've seen Money basses with tops that looked either quilted or flamed or even a bit of both. That finish was called Black Cherry.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 07:19:27 PM »
Actually IIRC Gibson renamed the DC approx one year after production start. The only difference was in appearance, using the $ labeled truss rod cover. The 2007 GOW Moneys were different though. Finished in Midnight Manhattan Blue (week 7, 1st run) or Natural Satin (week 23, 2nd run), it also featured the walnut tone plate but the regular Money was never specified with one. Most DC's and Money basses I've seen have had flame figured maple tops. Quilt ones are rare. As mentioned before, with Gibson often not keeping up to specs it's not impossible they made more than 2x400 GOW bodies, resulting in a few slipping out of the factory in either Black Cherry or Root Beer finish.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:00:10 PM by doombass »

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 02:13:52 AM »
I usually never get a kick out if the ´new´gibson designs, but these are rather nice!
Maybe it´s the early EB0 similarities. But they are longscale, are they not?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 04:56:51 AM »
I have read (through some searching on here, oh yes!) that the main difference between the original LP Doublecut and the GoW Money bass is that there's a wadge of walnut between the maple top and the mahogany in the case of the Money, where as the DC is a straight Maple/hog sandwich.

Thing is, I've seen this red DC with what appears to be a dark stripe between the maple and the mahogany.  It's also a flame maple top, not quilt.  What gives?  Refin?  Gibson being weird (like that would ever happen)?  Did any Money basses get done red by mistake?  Is it a transitional model?

Regular DC:

Red DC with suspicious stripe:

Me == confused.

That IS a tone plate right there. For a while they produced the reg fin DCs and the manhattan blue and nat sat fin Money basses side by side. I don't believe that Gibson bothered to produce the walnut-less original bodies at that point anymore, the DC, a commercial flop for whatever reason (everyone I know who has one digs them!), was in its death throes by then anyway. Whenever Gibson tries something outside of the "replicating a classic"-box, it gets inevitably hit on the head. The current EB will be the next in line.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 06:38:18 AM »
That IS a tone plate right there. For a while they produced the reg fin DCs and the manhattan blue and nat sat fin Money basses side by side. I don't believe that Gibson bothered to produce the walnut-less original bodies at that point anymore, the DC, a commercial flop for whatever reason (everyone I know who has one digs them!), was in its death throes by then anyway. Whenever Gibson tries something outside of the "replicating a classic"-box, it gets inevitably hit on the head. The current EB will be the next in line.

That's actually quite logical, by Gibson standards ;)
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 08:35:52 AM »
For a Gibson sound aficionado, the walnut tone plate was a good idea, it blurried and growled up the sound even more. For everyone else it was exactly the wrong thing, painting the DCs and Moneys even more into the corner of "this is not a bright and clear sounding modern bass even though it looks like it". It was commercial suicide, but in style for certain.  8)

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 08:43:54 AM »
I really like the blue one I had, but it's in good hands now.  The walnut did make a difference to my ears.  I found the bass dialed in a real nice jazzy tone with just the bridge pickup on. 

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »
Can't beat the neck pickup for heavy rocking pickstyle. The bridge pickup sounds great when it's hot and dirty. That quilt top dc bass in the first pic is sexy as hell. If that's ever for sale I'd be tripping all over myself to buy it.
But not at that price  :o
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Gibson-Money-4-String-Bass-Red-Quilt-Flametop-55-HD-Images-/161155603061?pt=Guitar&hash=item25859f5a75
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:58:27 AM by 4stringer77 »
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 10:46:43 AM »
Guitar has a used one for 699 in Blue in Mass store.  Item 109549464

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 06:46:06 PM »
That's not root beer?

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »

I really like quilted maple tops, but come on! If you are going to put a pretty top on a guitar make it thick enough that covers the whole top after it is beveled. At least that flaw is not very noticeable on the Midnight ones.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 08:38:48 AM »
I believe that was intentionally done that way for that layered boutique look. They also squeezed the walnut tone plate in so you could see it, that could have been hidden underneath the maple top via a cavity.

The maple top of the DCs/Monkeys is more than a veneer, it does affect sound giving those basses some zzzing, though not enough for modern tastes.