Author Topic: Marshall stops making bass amps and will take over Ampeg?  (Read 3938 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Marshall stops making bass amps and will take over Ampeg?
« on: June 08, 2014, 10:37:14 AM »
Yesterday I heard an inside story that Marshall will quit making bass amps. Of course they own Eden, but the mighty VBA400 will be missed. Today I heard a rumour they will buy Ampeg.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Marshall stops making bass amps and will take over Ampeg?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 12:58:56 PM »
If that's true, it would be good news for the Ampeg brand name.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »
MarshPeg...?

AmpAll...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 04:22:13 PM »
That would be good news and bad news. (The VBA400 hasn't been in production for almost ten years anyway BTW) The good news is that if it happened, Marshall has the brand management and marketing experience necessary to keep Ampeg alive. The bad news is have you seen what Marshall is putting out under their own name these days?

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:47:10 AM »
If that's true, it would be good news for the Ampeg brand name.

Too true. I've heard nothing but problems with alot of their product line since Loud took over and I'm here to tell you - it's not all hot air. The Ampeg name is not at all what it once was. Case in point - after EXTENSIVE research, I recently pulled the trigger on a PF800. I'd heard that the PF500's had had issues but I'd been assured that the new PF800 series had addressed the problems. What did I end up with? A complete POS that cuts out when pushed - the exact same issues that the rest of the PF line has.

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

Ownership by anyone other than LOUD would be a plus in my opinion. Hopefully at some point, the folks at Ampeg will get it through their skulls that any suspect amp topology needs to be eliminated before it ever makes its way to the production line let alone into the hands of consumers. Frustrated with Ampeg a bit, I am.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 03:44:10 PM »
If Marshall were really serious about bass amps they'd figure out some way to buy Genz Benz's Streamliner technology and stick a Marshal name on it.

My PF500 is currently an expensive doorstop living in Oregon.  None of Ampeg's suggested fixes worked.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 04:07:32 AM »
If Marshall were really serious about bass amps they'd figure out some way to buy Genz Benz's Streamliner technology and stick a Marshal name on it.

My PF500 is currently an expensive doorstop living in Oregon.  None of Ampeg's suggested fixes worked.

That was my thought on this subject too ;D.
Go for a win.
Rick

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 04:38:55 AM »
That was my thought on this subject too ;D.
Go for a win.
Rick

Yeah, but the Ampeg "brand" still has perceived value although not for me.  PF500 destroyed a relationship that went back to 1966 and my first B-18.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 05:48:09 AM »
The B-18 was the forgotten Ampeg. I loved those things. They could fill a room much better than a B-15 and not a lot of power either , just the nature of an 18 " speaker.
Rick

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 07:29:49 AM »
I will always regret the time I saw one at a used gear place's annual yard sale and let it go because I had no room for it in my apartment (I could have stashed it at my folk's place for a while I guess).  They're not tiny.   It was a beautiful thing, that amp.  I remember the price being stupid low (the store owner said nobody wanted it due to the size - not that it's that big, but it is heavy and awkward to carry... his clients were mostly retired /midlife crisis blues dads and their sons).  Also missed out on a few nice higher-powered Garnet heads that day (I already have 2, lower/mid powered ones) but the prices on those weren't as attractive.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 07:59:46 AM »
I thought SLM did a nice job with the Ampeg brand throughout all those years. I was bummed when LOUD took over. I've not heard one good thing about that company. My '96 SVT III Pro is still 100% problem free.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 08:06:43 AM »
I thought SLM did a nice job with the Ampeg brand throughout all those years. I was bummed when LOUD took over. I've not heard one good thing about that company. My '96 SVT III Pro is still 100% problem free.

I've had no problems with my SLM stuff, from a Crate B-50, to SVP poweramp and B-1, all made in USA.  The Genz stuff was made in Taiwan, leaps and bounds ahead of China in tech and QC, IMO.  Unfortunately, much pricier to make in Taiwan.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »
Somehow I doubt Fender would sell Genz Benz technology to a competitor, but you never know. Then again, I never thought they would buy Kaman to begin with.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 07:15:30 AM »
wasn't there a kaman line of amps decades ago. i remember the name from the early seventies.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 06:55:08 PM »
wasn't there a kaman line of amps decades ago. i remember the name from the early seventies.

Kaman had KMD amps back in the day.