Author Topic: Experimental Bass thread  (Read 2413 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Experimental Bass thread
« on: August 09, 2008, 05:07:24 AM »
I was thinking that there are no real forums for experimental bassists. I though I would start a thread to see what the interest was and maybe we could get our own forum.

The facts -

The bass and its role in music has really been one of the few real growth areas of music in the last 10-15 years. The role of what a bass can do and the role it takes in a band is wide open now. Today, the bass can do anything you want it to, with greater acceptance.

It started with John Entwistle, being the melodic lead for the Who.

Then came Stanley Clarke - School Days - Blew apart everything bass playing was, drawn from classical, jazz & funk influences - School Days- played to death on top 40 radio along with Birdland.

Jack Bruce blew me away with Apostrophe- A rock bass solo with guitar effects!- A top 40 hit with tons of airplay in it's day.

Then Jaco with Birland - truth was, I was never a big Jaco fan, but no one can take away what he did for fretless bass & his use of harmonics

This was the nucleus of the explosion, or doom, of the typical bassist role in music, depending on what side of the fence one sits.

These above clips formed what I do today, blame it on them.

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Experimental Bass thread
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »
I do like a good pocket player, but I've always appreciated the pioneering sprit! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IwjnT70Oi8&feature=related

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 12:49:43 AM »

The facts -

It started with John Entwistle, being the melodic lead for the Who.

I know its an obviously contentious argument John and as much as I love the Ox, I have to mention James Jamerson here.  :)
Digresion our specialty!

nofi

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 04:13:49 AM »
monk montgomery.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:24:38 AM »
A much better version of School Days:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JEn7wTKzGnI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true">

I spent many hours as a teen working on this. Sold my first Ric to buy an alumi-Kramer that was the closest thing to an Alembic that I could afford. And it did a damn good job of getting that sound!

Having a helluva time posting images and vids today.....................???

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 08:58:45 AM »
I always liked this clip of Jaco jamming in equal temperment with John Scofield and Kenwood Dennard:

This footage was on an instructional vid that he made, which I still have somewhere on vhs.  It was hosted by Jerry Jemmott -who's probably the bigger influence on my playing.  One of the few video tapes I ever bought of anyone.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 10:16:52 AM »
monk montgomery.

Ah yes....gotta love Monk.....gotta love the whole damn family ;D
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 01:05:27 PM »
That second clip that Chromium posted is (for me) a great example of admiring someone's technique even though his playing leaves me cold.  Unfortunately that's true for a lot of Jaco's playing....love the technique, can easily pass on the music.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 04:32:04 AM »
Thought I'd add to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZUKBCupZaA&feature=related
Squarepusher - Beep Street
When this guy is on he really does a good job of riding that line between electronic and live instruments. A one man bass band is quite an experiment in itself, but he fills it out nicely with synths, sequencers, loops, and some clever arrangements.

Half-speed Hawkwind