Author Topic: James Jamerson or Carol Kaye  (Read 1857 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
James Jamerson or Carol Kaye
« on: October 15, 2021, 10:12:58 PM »
Not just the usual rehash.

BP story about recent research, with a link to the actual research paper from 2019 published by Cambridge University Press.

James Jamerson or Carol Kaye: who played what? Uncovering the truth behind the Motown mystery

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: James Jamerson or Carol Kaye
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 06:46:54 AM »
I'm ready for love, In and out of love and You've made me so very happy don't surprise me. Love is here and now you're gone is transcribed in Standing in the Shadows of Motown so that's interesting that Allan Slutsky couldn't figure out it was Kaye playing. In hindsight, thinking about that song and how it goes up the neck higher than Jamerson typically ventured, it's not too hard to believe Kaye played it. Didn't know Blood Sweat and Tears weren't the original writers of the Brenda Holloway song.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 06:57:13 AM »
OK, cool.  I just have a hard time with this bit (makes the dude sound like he's not a musician to any degree at all):

"Second, Motown was constantly re-recording material. If you look at Motown albums from this era, you have the Supremes and Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson doing each other’s songs, and everybody doing everybody else’s hits.

“The singers were often not in the room when the session musicians were recording these songs – so if you’re the bass player, and you’re playing on what you think is Get Ready, for example, how do you know if it’s the hit version? Is it a re-recorded version? Is it an album version? Is it for a movie or for TV? And Motown also recorded lots of stuff that was never released. So you can’t really blame any of the bass players for not knowing if it’s them or not.”

Like, Ok sure, but you'd think the people themselves would be able to hear it and say - yeah that's what I played; my style. Granted Kaye's not gonna sit down and listen to all those songs in a row with a checklist so fair enough.  That's a lot of material and if you remember playing on (some version of) it that can be confusing if you don't actually sit down and critically listen to it on a reference system.

Like there's weekend my-folks-are-out-of-town-lets-rent-an-8-track sessions I was at when I was younger and maybe it was a boozefest and I don't remember whether I played drums, rhythm guitar or bass on a given song... or anything at all - was just there, but I can listen to the damn song and be like - nope, that ain't me, I wasn't using a pick at the the time (or, I wouldn't be caught dead doing the disco octave thing).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 07:42:22 AM »
Not just the usual rehash.

BP story about recent research, with a link to the actual research paper from 2019 published by Cambridge University Press.

James Jamerson or Carol Kaye: who played what? Uncovering the truth behind the Motown mystery

Any all of those sessions were union gigs.  When Motown moved to LA boxes of old paperwork were just abandoned.

And exactly what the hell is an Assistant Professor of Popular Music?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 10:08:01 AM »

And exactly what the hell is an Assistant Professor of Popular Music?

That would be one academic rank under Associate Professor of Popular Music.

North Texas is recognized nationwide for their high quality musical programs. They have a College of Music which is widely recognized as one of the best in the US. El linko magnifico.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 05:22:22 PM »
Right. UNT's College of Music has an outstanding reputation. The son of a friend of  mine was an honors grad in music.

A popular music curriculum includes just about anything non-classical, including theory, composition, musical technology, publishing, etc.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 08:10:59 PM »
Great article. I don't claim any expertise on the subject, but I like the idea that he's trying to look at it dispassionately and simply figure out who played what (and on what version).   

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 03:37:55 PM »
That would be one academic rank under Associate Professor of Popular Music.

North Texas is recognized nationwide for their high quality musical programs. They have a College of Music which is widely recognized as one of the best in the US. El linko magnifico.

Thanks Pil!