Author Topic: JMJ on SNL  (Read 2505 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
JMJ on SNL
« on: April 11, 2021, 08:44:33 AM »
As you might know I'm a bot of a St. Vincent fanboy (*). I'm really addicted to the live version of a song she did on SNL with our old fellow Dudepitter Justin Meldal-Johnsen on bass. The other band members are all big names. JMJ played his Mustang on one song and a modern Höfner Club on this one.

I talked to her last week and she told me she knew her producer Jack Antonoff is a good producer, songwriter and guitarsit, butaccording to her 'he lived out his Jaco fantasies on this album' which is very 70s, with wurlitzers and real guitars (**).

JMJ did it live and very well:

(*) I liked her as a person and player, but I never really got into her music, until Masseduction (and Masseducation). (**) but Massseduction has a lot of guitars which are hardly recognizable as guitars and on her new album it's just all good!!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: JMJ on SNL
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 01:50:22 PM »
The Höfner sounds good and JMJ does everything well.

First time I've ever seen or heard St. Vincent. Definitely not the kind of music I like. Different strokes...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 02:47:46 PM »
That "alcoholic Hollywood star past her prime"-outfit she has now adopted sure takes some getting used to. Self mutilation they call it. That female obsession with fake blonde, I never get it.

She had really nice dark curly hair.  :-\

Reminds me of when my first wife Martina, a natural blonde, dyed her hair black in an ill-advised fit to "change her look". Change her look she did - when she came home from the hairdresser, both our children - then about 3 and 5 years old - started crying uncontrollably.  :-\ It took them days to get over it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 02:57:35 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 12:49:59 AM »
I had a relationship with a very pretty Dutch girl from Turkish descent. A beautiful dark eyed and dark haired petite ballerina. I still don't know why she fell for me haha! We first only had contact digitally, and there was jus a friendship first. When I saw her for her first time she was in her Lady Gaga phase and she dyed her her totally white blonde. I could cry like Uwe's children. After a while she had her big long curly barnett back, fortunately!

Here's St. Vincent with Dua Lipa around the period of her more poppy previous album.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 02:32:25 AM »
I never got the obsession with fake blonde hair color, either.  I much prefer brunettes or redheads.  I've seen actresses do this a lot, too.  Go from brunette to blonde.  It rarely works out very well.  Of course, when it comes to acting that can be a little different.  You've obviously got to look different for different roles.  I was watching something the other day which pointed out it was Clairol which coined that phrase "blondes have more fun."  It was just an advertising slogan which maybe some people took too seriously. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 02:50:00 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 10:08:37 AM »
An article which I just came across about the SNL St. Vincent performance.

https://bassmagazine.com/artists/watch-justin-meldal-johnsen-perform-on-snl-with-st-vincent
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 11:02:18 AM »
That "alcoholic Hollywood star past her prime"-outfit she has now adopted sure takes some getting used to. Self mutilation they call it. That female obsession with fake blonde, I never get it.

She had really nice dark curly hair.  :-\

At about 1:00, that cutaway to the gent in the audience "dancing" is interesting...with some of the stranger contortions I have seen in an audience member. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 11:42:29 AM »
Is there another way of dancing?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 01:38:23 PM »
An article which I just came across about the SNL St. Vincent performance.

https://bassmagazine.com/artists/watch-justin-meldal-johnsen-perform-on-snl-with-st-vincent

"her electrifying stage show" lol

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 02:09:01 PM »
I think she was electrifying.

My friend Jon made two mistakes. The Mustang is his original, so no signature, althougj of course it is in a way. The Höfner is 2005.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 02:15:58 PM »
Talked to Jon and he'll fix it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 04:45:04 PM »

Dave, you know better, it's called ART.  ;D

I think she probably heard a fair share of Laurie Anderson.

You need to focus more on the essentials, Dave.

Some Anne Calvi in there too.

I have a thing for edgy wimmin whatchamacallit ... post-pop-rock?

My best buddy always says "you always go for that same type of androgynous woman, Hornung, about time you went all the way and came out as gay".

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 04:59:57 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 06:16:36 PM »

Certainly not "The Melting of the Sun" performance. The other song was much better.  Still, now that it has been brought up, I can't get over how much being blonde doesn't suit her.  This is nothing new to me.  I've had this reaction many times when celebrities try this.

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 07:54:38 AM »
I've recently become a big fan of the Anchoress, AKA Catherine Anne Davies, so thanks for sharing. She sometimes reminds me very much of a local singer/songwriter/pianist named Michelle Cross who I work with on occasion. It's been forever, she's busy teaching in Chicago Public Schools now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-z82o10YAQ&list=PLMYo5cRR29JxoLKWZNkz9cobm1P-8uqDy&index=6

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 09:40:05 AM »
She reminds me of David Bowie as much as anybody.