Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Glenn Cornick bass timeline pre-JT through Wild Turkey and Paris - updated

<< < (6/11) > >>

Highlander:
I think it might have been inner sleeve on the 1st Paris... from a Bob Welch site...

Denis:
Found this one on Bob Welch's site. Your photos and this one confirm then, that this definitely was Glenn's bass.

I want it, hahaha!

D.M.N.:

--- Quote from: Denis on January 10, 2018, 07:41:25 PM ---
Glenn started modifying this bass soon after he bought it. This photo shows a Guild pickup in place of the original Gibson and the pick guard has been removed. This is the only color photo of this bass that I have found so far. I've been in touch with Drew Cornick who offered to try and locate a few more photos of this bass for reference in the restoration of mine.
I feel it's rather important from a documentation standpoint to mention that the sides of the fretboard appear to be unpainted. Many Gibson experts, including some friends who have original NR Thunderbirds, state that Gibson always painted the sides of the fretboards on custom color basses. Knowing how Gibson did things it seems entirely possible they painted some fretboard sides and left some unpainted.

--- End quote ---

What you can't see in that pic is that in addition to the Guild humbucker, he also added two Jazz bass pickups, side by side like Berry Oakley, at the bridge. He also added a small pickguard to help cover the routes for the wiring. Here's a version that's less cropped:

Denis:
Wow, I've never seen the uncropped photo! Thanks for posting that!!!

He must not have liked the double jazz pups because the b/w photo I posted of the same bass later showed it with the original pup in place with a more complete custom pick guard in place.

Highlander:

--- Quote from: Denis on January 11, 2018, 05:33:40 PM ---I want it, hahaha!

--- End quote ---

I remember this pic too... :mrgreen:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version