Author Topic: Gibson handrest neck pup  (Read 2790 times)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Gibson handrest neck pup
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:32:02 AM »
At last, as Etta James finally and finely put it, one (1) handrest, that seems to be for a T-bird neck pup, has been sighted on the bay. Though the $ is, at least, a couple to many in my opinion as I need more than one of these. Ain't nobody making this stuff for people like me, and you, no more?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Thunderbird-bass-hand-rest-/130536358876?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D823543627968913062

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson handrest neck pup
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:20:52 AM »
That's sniper's auction.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 05:00:03 AM »
...Ain't nobody making this stuff for people like me, and you, no more?

i wonder if i should end it early and try to use it for a pattern? i know two someones i can check with.

i am going to do just that while i still have it. i might list it later. thanks for the idea.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:05:59 AM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 05:57:51 AM »
Sniper! That's the way to pull a wagon, as we Swedes tends to put it. Guess you'll make more people happy than just me. Hope it works out!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 05:43:17 PM »
i am about two thirds the way through research for making this item and i noticed something important.

the legs or uprights on the sides of the handrest are not even. they differ abut 1/16" of an inch with the treble side being shorter. i would imagine because the treble side of this hand rest comes to rest on the pickguard.

that being said, i wonder how this rest differs from one that has uprights that are even in length?

i should find out soon if i have to destroy this one to make a pattern
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:21:13 PM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »

the legs or uprights on the sides of the handrest are not even. they differ abut 1/16" of an inch with the treble side being shorter. i would imagine because the treble side of this hand rest comes to rest on the pickguard.

That's it.

that being said, i wonder how this rest differs from one that has uprights that are even in length?...

Wouldn't those be for a nonreverse where both sides rest on the pickguard?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 04:37:23 AM »
IMO the most commercial option would be chrome with even legs.

Original specs would be chrome, even legs, nickel uneven.  And if you do decide to destroy that one consider trading it to me for the uneven leg '65 I have plus cash.  Mine's badly pitted but otherwise OK.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 10:09:38 AM »

here is what it looks like, sorry about the focus on the two fuzzy pics. the top actually looks quite good. this is definately the uneven legs type, but it is chromed.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 10:13:49 AM »
That's too nice to destroy.

ThunderBucker

• View Profile
    • ThunderBucker Ranch - quality pickups and homebrew
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 10:35:59 AM »
PLS DO NOT DESTROY.  it is too easy to make a pattern.  Buy some contact paper, cut to rough size of the "flattened" part.  Stick to to your t-shirt couple of times to weaken the stick.  carefully wrap it onto the hand rest.  trim off excess with exacto, including the holes.  Ustick the pattern from the part, and stick onto stiff paper. Measure and add dimensions.

Now view the hand rest from the side, and measure the height, and width of the raised area. To estimate the bend radius, use a compass to make a series of small circles out of stiff paper, 1/8", 3/16" etc.  Cut out and compare to the bend radius on the part.  Incrementally zero in on the correct radius (of course, a set of radius gauges would be simpler)

There Ya Go.  Fully dimensioned drawing, and Mother is Still in One Piece.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »
IMO the most commercial option would be chrome with even legs.

Original specs would be chrome, even legs, nickel uneven.  And if you do decide to destroy that one consider trading it to me for the uneven leg '65 I have plus cash.  Mine's badly pitted but otherwise OK.

done deal Carlo. looks like i'll be able to get a pattern without any harm to the original. i'll send my mailing addy via message.

PLS DO NOT DESTROY.  it is too easy to make a pattern.  Buy some contact paper, cut to rough size of the "flattened" part.  Stick to to your t-shirt couple of times to weaken the stick.  carefully wrap it onto the hand rest.  trim off excess with exacto, including the holes.  Ustick the pattern from the part, and stick onto stiff paper. Measure and add dimensions.

Now view the hand rest from the side, and measure the height, and width of the raised area. To estimate the bend radius, use a compass to make a series of small circles out of stiff paper, 1/8", 3/16" etc.  Cut out and compare to the bend radius on the part.  Incrementally zero in on the correct radius (of course, a set of radius gauges would be simpler)

There Ya Go.  Fully dimensioned drawing, and Mother is Still in One Piece.

great idea Thunderbucker. thanks. pattern problem solved.