Author Topic: T-bird pickup cover, anyone?  (Read 4151 times)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
T-bird pickup cover, anyone?
« on: October 14, 2010, 03:12:11 AM »
This here following is something I've often thought about as worth discussing in our little corner of the world. The T-bird BRIDGE covers are quite easily found on Ebay, though the difference in prices is hugh. But the cover above the PICKUP, the one CLOSE TO THE NECK, them you won't see, not even seldom. How come? Ideas? Isn't it a bit strange that the leftover ones from the bridge position is possible to get, but not the other ones.
And, of course, these are the covers I want! And I am almost at the edge of saying - need!
Are we more than just me who wants them? Any kind of solution somewhere?

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: T-bird pickup cover, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 04:51:38 AM »
I suppose there are more bridge covers out there because thay were used on EB series bases too. How many Bachbird owners want the covers? I do. There were probably some of us farsighted enough to buy them up in the three year wait to have the Bachbird produced.

I think a repro set made of polished aluminum would be perfect.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 04:57:52 AM »
Now we're talking! But who can make them?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 05:03:23 AM »
My dad made me one for my '60 EBO out of stainless steel in 1965 at the Eastern Airlines sheet metal shop.  They used to call it "Government Work."  Not too difficult if you have basic sheet metal bending equipment.  Comes down to what the demand is and how much they are worth.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 08:54:01 AM »

The covers on my Lull are both repros, I picked them up on ebay from a guy in Texas that makes small batches of them. I deliberately sought them out for the Lull because original Gibson parts didn't seem to make sense on a "modern" 'Bird. Anyway they're nice quality and differ only slightly from Gibson pieces.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 09:23:39 AM »
Beautiful basses! Concerning the covers: Remember what kind of money involved? Adress to the maker of them?

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 09:26:53 AM »
I suppose there are more bridge covers out there because thay were used on EB series bases too.

This may answer a question I've been meaning to ask: were the T-bird bridge covers the same as other Gibby bridge covers? You mentioned EBs, but were ALL the covers identical?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 10:25:19 AM »
I bought a bridge cover from a guy in the UK for a whole lot less.
Maybe this guy could make repros of the Tbird pickup covers for an affordable price?

The cover I bought is a little bit lower than the original Gibson bridge cover, but it's still high enough if you put felt or rubber soles under the feet (like the original covers used to have too sometimes).

See how it looks installed on my BaCH EB2:

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 11:13:50 AM »
Absolutely right! I bought three (3) of those, one for my Bachbird, and two for my 60's Epiphone Embassies. The latter suited perfect immediately. The former needs, as Basverken says, something to lift it up a little bit. Recommended!

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 06:04:08 PM »
You can actually pick up the bridge covers for $15-$19 from http://guitarpartsresource.com/bhardware_ashtrays.htm in chrome, gold, or black (bottom row.) They're sold as EB bridge covers, but they're the same size. Aside from the very early EB0s which had a narrower bridge cover, to my knowledge all Gibson basses use the same bridge cover. The neck pickup cover was only used on Thunderbirds, which is why you never see them. Some people tossed them out, other people kept them on their basses (and won't be taking them off any time soon.) Meanwhile, the bridge covers are being mass produced by a few different groups of people.

I asked a guy on another forum where he got his, as it looked different than the real one so I figured it was a repro. He told me that he's using a P-Bass pickup cover for the neck. Apparently the hole spacing and overall width of the cover is the same as the original Gibson cover, but the height is shorter, so when you use it with the EB bridge cover it sits noticeably closer to the strings than it should. I guess that wouldn't look too bad from the audience viewpoint on stage.

I've been in the market for a neck pickup cover since around July. I saw one turn up on ebay about a month ago, bid on it, and then the auction was taken down. I sent a PM to ebay user klmahlke about the neck pickup covers and he said that he used to mass produce those and sell them for $65 but there was such a small market that he doesn't make them anymore. I really think someone should make a small batch of these, I know a fair amount of us would buy them. If I don't see one turn up soon, I'll probably go with the P-Bass cover and more than likely regret not waiting.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:13:55 PM by iamthatguy32 »

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 11:13:21 AM »
not i said the dog patting his parts drawer.

got a neck T-Bird cover from Gretdealz awhile back. they might have one or two more if you ask?
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 03:18:34 PM »
Any mail adress?

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »
they are an ebay seller. they have been offering some NOS neck blanks for Gibson basses lately.

here is one of thier auctions but for a pick guard:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gibson-Parts-NOS-RD-Artist-Bass-Pickguard-/250729436199?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a60a39427

You can actually pick up the bridge covers for $15-$19 from http://guitarpartsresource.com/bhardware_ashtrays.htm in chrome, gold, or black (bottom row.) They're sold as EB bridge covers, but they're the same size. Aside from the very early EB0s which had a narrower bridge cover, to my knowledge all Gibson basses use the same bridge cover. The neck pickup cover was only used on Thunderbirds, which is why you never see them. Some people tossed them out, other people kept them on their basses (and won't be taking them off any time soon.) Meanwhile, the bridge covers are being mass produced by a few different groups of people.

I asked a guy on another forum where he got his, as it looked different than the real one so I figured it was a repro. He told me that he's using a P-Bass pickup cover for the neck. Apparently the hole spacing and overall width of the cover is the same as the original Gibson cover, but the height is shorter, so when you use it with the EB bridge cover it sits noticeably closer to the strings than it should. I guess that wouldn't look too bad from the audience viewpoint on stage.

I've been in the market for a neck pickup cover since around July. I saw one turn up on ebay about a month ago, bid on it, and then the auction was taken down. I sent a PM to ebay user klmahlke about the neck pickup covers and he said that he used to mass produce those and sell them for $65 but there was such a small market that he doesn't make them anymore. I really think someone should make a small batch of these, I know a fair amount of us would buy them. If I don't see one turn up soon, I'll probably go with the P-Bass cover and more than likely regret not waiting.

i always thought one might make a close T-Bird neck replica from a Fender cover if one were to shorten the width and then rework the mounting tabs.

The covers on my Lull are both repros, I picked them up on ebay from a guy in Texas that makes small batches of them. I deliberately sought them out for the Lull because original Gibson parts didn't seem to make sense on a "modern" 'Bird. Anyway they're nice quality and differ only slightly from Gibson pieces.

thats Ken Malhke, he was a pitter and i think he is a member here but i am not sure. he sells on EBay also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280591345470&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

i have one of his covers on my Epi EBO
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:05:11 PM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

sniper

• View Profile