Author Topic: Bobby Graham  (Read 412 times)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Bobby Graham
« on: April 23, 2021, 11:06:00 AM »
At last, as sis Etta James so cleaverly put it, is it possible to get the memoirs of the sublime - yet raw - English drummer Bobby Graham. He did a Ramses II - who left Memphis for heaven, according to The Fugs -  twelve years ago. He was a great drummer, and he was heard on many, many recordings from both the 60's, and the 70's. Put the swing behind Dusty Springfield, Tom Jones, The Kinks, and many others. Including Dave Clark Five, though that wasn't so much about swing as good payment.

Bobby's got his own site on Facebook, and there's where I found his memoirs. The package included a cd with recordings by him. And, if I got you interested by now: you know that first knack on Kinks You really got me, and all the drumming on the tune, that's not Mick Avory. Guess who it is... Yeah, you're right. It's that english drummer.... the one named.... named... Billy, was it? No.... Bonny? Not him either..... Well, then it's got to be one of all them Bobbys? Right? Well, well..

Talking about Them old Kinks, a certain tune comes to my mind. This one, which does not include anyone else but Mr Avory, but anyway is sooooo goooood, and got such a beautiful life's philosophy... Plus, it could almost be a Beach Boys tune.

Have a nice weekend!

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Re: Bobby Graham
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 12:26:47 AM »
And for those of us who know the difference between a sloppy drummer and a driver to rely on, here's a 45 from '66. Our man Graham, in the company of guitarist Jimmy Page. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LdnSTUdYKo&list=RD0LdnSTUdYKo&start_radio=1&t=22  :mrgreen: