Author Topic: I think I need an 8 string  (Read 6558 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
I think I need an 8 string
« on: February 27, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »
This has been a thought I have been mulling over for a good few years now (and though y'all ain't at fault for it, the impetus was a lovely experience in Paul's Boutique with a much too pointy number for me to seriously consider, you certainly did your bit to fan the flames).

Problems are I can't afford anything too nice and I am likely going to have to buy something online without trying.  School me; what's out there that's cheap, doesn't totally suck, and won't look out of place if I'm not rocking spandex and teased hair.  Also would prefer not long scale (med or short) and bonus points on a sliding scale proportional to how close to the neck the pickup is.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:05:26 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: I think I need an 8 string
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 01:47:06 PM »
Sounds like you need a Hagstrom HB8. I picked one up cheaply as the neck bolts had stripped out their holes in the neck. I was able to fix it right up, and took the opportunity to fit Eyguitars chrome Thunderbird pickups.

I also pared down the controls. By default Hagstrom ship these with a curiously wired 6-way rotary pickup switch. No good, in my opinion, as it is sequenced all wrong. Now it has a 3-way, volume and tone.

The build quality isn't brilliant, as I found the neck pocket carved out badly;

Which I had to fix...

Prior to the new pickups and re-wire, but after I re-located the strap button on the horn (which was in a stupid place - check the screw!).

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »
Interesting.  The body shape doesn't speak to me but doesn't bother me either.  Will take a closer look at that one.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 07:59:41 AM »
.... considering the above review, not sure I am willing to pay US$600 for one (with the CAD so low it's actually a lot of money), but I'll keep an eye out for used ones.  I think I'll be OK with those pups and even the stock switch, though I might have to replace the knob with a chicken head.

I've seen some Asian stuff for silly cheap here and there.  Any of that not a complete waste of money? 

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »
I have 3 eighters, all made in Korea, long scale, with bridges that actually intonate all 8 strings individually.  I paid an average of $300 for them.   They pretty much gather dust since I started playing twelvers.  Here's two of them, Dean and Robelli.

Longscale  multi strings basses sound better IMO.  I'm 70 and if I can manage them, so can you.  The key for me is light strings, 40-90 for fundamental, 17-40 for octaves.  I make up my own sets, although GHS made me a custom set for the NR.

Here's the G8er I built before moving on to twelve strings.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 11:03:33 AM »
I'm going to be playing chords and have very small hands so long scale is sort of out of the question (I have some long scales, I know how playing chords on those goes).  Love that LP Jr though (aside from the pup placement ;P), and yours look pretty sweet too.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 12:55:40 PM »
I understand what you're saying about chording long scales.  I can only play triads on a 12er from the fifth fret up.  That's another reason to make sure you get a bass with separate saddles for each string, with a 4 saddle bridge chords sound like a train wreck.   Upgrading to a Schaller 471-8 costs about $80 USD, well worth it IMO.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 08:42:28 PM »
I have the same LP Jr style as Carlo but the pickup was upgraded to an EMG when I bought it. Dual truss rod and individual string adjustment on the saddles. I do wish it had different pickups and placement but I'm only using it around the house to experiment with so it doesn't really matter much. The long scale doesn't bother me and I'm not tall (5'10"). Joe (Chromium) has a lot of experience with 8'ers from Ibanez, Ric, BC Rich and Hamer so he can provide some insight on various scale lengths.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 09:32:24 AM »

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 02:27:55 PM »
I didn't get my first 8-string 'til 1980, a Hondo long-scale. Next was a 60s Hagstrom short-scale in 1990, the in the late 90s I got my first Hamer B12S, followed quickly by a second one. I sold my 8s after that. I wouldn't mind having one again, I don'y play my 12 at all anymore.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 05:10:02 PM »
I have the same LP Jr style as Carlo but the pickup was upgraded to an EMG when I bought it. Dual truss rod and individual string adjustment on the saddles. I do wish it had different pickups and placement but I'm only using it around the house to experiment with so it doesn't really matter much. The long scale doesn't bother me and I'm not tall (5'10"). Joe (Chromium) has a lot of experience with 8'ers from Ibanez, Ric, BC Rich and Hamer so he can provide some insight on various scale lengths.

Actually for the price, that Robelli doublecut is pretty nice.

The Ibanez ST-980 I had was a great bass around the 700-ish mark (32" scale), but dang that thing was heavy - just short of 14 lbs if I recall.  Also the spacing between root and octave strings was about double that of the other basses I've had.  You get used to it, but I find the tighter spacing makes playability nicer (for me).

I'm down to one 8-string now.  It was nice trying some out, but I found that I was only playing my B8S (30.5" scale) - so I've sold off the others.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 05:58:12 PM »
Brand new ESP for 451.46 and if you act today you can get 15% off for their leap day sale, and if you don't like it you can send it back!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/esp-b-208fm-8-string-bass-with-flamed-maple-top

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 04:05:14 AM »
I've owned a ridiculous number of 8-strings. Was only playing 8-strings for around 5 years at ne point, so really got into them.

A number of the cheaper import ones often have issues. If they used cheap soft maple frmthe ncks they bow. I have found a number of them have bad neck pocket angles, where you cannot lower the qction enough. Also a few also set the bridges where they do not drop down low enough. Some set the bridges in body slots and they are mounted off and hit the edge of the routes. Also, some brands do not use eight string saddles....avoid those, as you cannot intonate the octaves and will be oit of tune.

If you could handle a long-scale, I would have seconded the motion....a used Carlo Robelli is the ticket. That is actually Sam Ash's store brand. They bought the old name and revived it with imports.
But you would have to like silver sparkle...that was the only color they came in I think. It was sort of a copy of a Hamer B8S, except in a 34" scale.

Old Yamahas from 70s are decent, if you can find one cheap enough.

Aluminum neck Kramers are short scale and sometimes pop up cheap. The earlier pointy model has a 4-saddle bridge but you can swap it out easily. The rounder later body has 8-saddles. They are a little heavy but not crazy.

Old Hagstroms from the late 60s are short-scale and used to be cheap but no longer. The originals were nice, albeit very guitarlike. The reissue HB-8 above is OK but an import, sometimes with some of the issues I mentioned...like bad neck pocket, etc. plus, I think those use a 4-saddle bridge. You could swap that out with a Schaller 8 bridge for $50 bucks used.

Hamer made some of the absolute best 8- and 12-string basses but are not cheap. Their B8S model is the short-scale one. They also made a handful of medium ones of that model....technically a B8M, also called a Blades Bass (after Jack Blades of Nighranger.)

Recommendation.....

Due to lack of cheap short-scale 8-strings currently being made, you may wany to consider converting a used Fender bolt-on and slap on a paddle heqdstock neck. You can pick both up for under $100 each. All you would need after that is a decnt 8 saddle bridge like a Schaller....four octave tuners and an 8-slot nut. You may even be able to just add slots to the existing nut. So, maybe $400 total cost and a little work to make your own. I may have a used Schaller 8 bridge if you go that route.

For instance....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Squier-Jaguar-Short-Scale-Bass-w-Broken-Truss-Rod-for-parts-or-project-/322029557094?hash=item4afa751566:g:wZkAAOSwh-1W2yot

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDEN-30-Short-Scale-Fretless-Paddle-Bass-Neck-Maple-Rosewood-NO-Inlay-/151973774106?hash=item236257c31a:g:GUYAAOSwZd1VZmrp

« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 04:36:12 AM by mc2NY »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 04:38:28 AM »
All 3 Korean 8ers I own needed neck shims of varying thicknesses.  They all now very have low action and straight necks.  Dean uses a two trussrod system and 5 piece necks.  The bridge had some issues but was an easy fix for anyone with minimal skills.  Even the Rogue plays great after minor tweaks.  Small sample size, YMMV. 12ers Rule!