Author Topic: Traynor YBA 300 Starts out quiet and when it warms up loud 60HZ humm  (Read 3620 times)

Nighttrain1127

• View Profile
I have a Used Traynor Yba-300 It had some initial noise Issues when I got it . I changed out the pre tubes and it went away, For a while. After about a month it started making the noise again after it warms up about 20 minutes or so. Got brand new JJ pre tubes and it was quiet again for a few weeks but now it is back after it warms up. Any Ideas and it is only with the gain turned up. If I keep the gain down low it is quiet.

Thanks in advance

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Re: Traynor YBA 300 Starts out quiet and when it warms up loud 60HZ humm
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 02:46:18 PM »
After it warms up are the bias LEDs still all in range?
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:48:02 PM »
What Mark said, but if you need help, contact Traynor through their website and they'll help you out.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

Nighttrain1127

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 03:49:08 PM »
The Bias lights were all off. However after the suggestion of Bias I set them all a hair cold and then re Biased until the lights just went completely out . No Hum So I guess it is not a perfect system will have to see if it starts doing it again if resetting the bias works. Thanks for the suggestions. And if it does it again I will contact Traynor.

Nighttrain1127

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 03:06:31 PM »
Just a correction to my first post if I keep the Master down not the Gain then it is quiet. But when I turn the master above 2/3 it gets noisy. Not killer noisy . I did some troubleshooting with Traynor removed all the tubes put in one set at a time and no matter what Pair I put in for the 4th pair it gets noisy again so I bought a matched Quad and once the fourth pair of tubes was put in it got noisy again. So I am now wondering if the first tube pair or the second pair is creating some noise but not enough to hear it until the 3rd and 4th pair are in?  I have rebiased and right after I set the Bias it gets quieter then after it really warms up 30 to 45 min the noise is back.    Any new Ideas

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 08:44:45 PM »
Your output tubes are severely unbalanced and what you're hearing is a bias mismatch.

Nighttrain1127

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 02:02:44 PM »
So I Need to replace all the power Tubes then Is what you are saying.

Nighttrain1127

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the Info PBG

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 03:56:45 PM »
So I Need to replace all the power Tubes then Is what you are saying.

No, not unless one or more has gone bad. You need to have their bias adjusted and matched.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 08:59:26 PM »
No, not unless one or more has gone bad. You need to have their bias adjusted and matched.

Yes, and further to that, I strongly doubt that it is a tube fault at all. It's far more likely that some part of the bias circuit has failed. Traynor has had serious problems with stage regulation because of part failure in all their modern tube bass amps to varying degrees. I suspect that the amount of electrical heat being generated is above the thermal limits of the bias circuitry, either a connector, resistor, board joint, or any combination of the above. The potentially bad news is that if the amp ran this way for long, it may have toasted half of its output tubes already, and if you just buy new ones and stick them in there, the new ones will overdissipate too.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:54:51 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Nighttrain1127

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 04:13:54 AM »
So it is tech time then?

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 08:38:30 AM »
Yes. Odds are that the "gain" is actually tied to the master volume and it may be something as simple as a faulty ground in the preamp, but loud hum out of nowhere usually means 'output stage.'