Author Topic: Double Muds!  (Read 6944 times)

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
Double Muds!
« on: February 12, 2016, 02:15:21 PM »
I have 2 mudbuckers that need to be checked & re wired. Any recommendations where I can send?
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Double Muds!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 03:59:08 PM »
Curtis Novak?

When you said Double Muds I had this in mind...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 04:19:20 PM »
Much chromey-ness there!  I approve.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 04:23:22 PM »
Bah; too far from the neck.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 05:48:06 PM »
I've never used Curtis Novak but he has a great reputation and he knows mudbuckers. He offers his own vintage reissue plus a couple of variations, and he can rewire yours or rewind however you want.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 07:14:07 PM »
I've never used Curtis Novak but he has a great reputation and he knows mudbuckers. He offers his own vintage reissue plus a couple of variations, and he can rewire yours or rewind however you want.

Novak's 'vintage reissue' is nothing but a rewound artec/epi pickup.  I've A-B'd them visually.  Sounds nothing like a '60s mudbucker, very nasal...IMO

Customer regretted having me put one in this bass.  Sent it back for a ThunderBucker transplant.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 02:02:32 AM »
I rewind pickups at $50 per coil. I am located in Norway and shipping might cost a bit, so you are probably better off if you find someone near you. I've done a few mud rewinds, both 'downscaling' and vintage spec. At this very moment I'm winding one I will try to match with a classic P bass in neck position.

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
I rewind pickups at $50 per coil. I am located in Norway and shipping might cost a bit, so you are probably better off if you find someone near you. I've done a few mud rewinds, both 'downscaling' and vintage spec. At this very moment I'm winding one I will try to match with a classic P bass in neck position.

Making you The Mudbucker Proxy ?
Dyslexics untie!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 04:13:31 PM »
Novak's 'vintage reissue' is nothing but a rewound artec/epi pickup.  I've A-B'd them visually.  Sounds nothing like a '60s mudbucker, very nasal...IMO

Customer regretted having me put one in this bass.  Sent it back for a ThunderBucker transplant.

He may buy pickup components from the same supplier as Artec but I seriously doubt he would risk his reputation by buying an Artec or an Epi and rewinding it. It wouldn't makes sense anyway, it would take more time to undo and clean one up than to wind a new one using new components. If I were in your shoes, I'd be very careful about saying that without proof. You and he are both small businessmen with reputations to protect.

I haven't heard his vintage reissue but I do like the sound of his replacement EB-AA Fatbucker as heard in this video.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 04:30:22 PM »
Key question... what's wrong with the originals...? Not that hard to strip them down to check, especially if yo are going to the expense of e rewind... I split the coils on the MB our Old Man supplied me for the PC...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 07:37:40 PM »
I had new leads put on one of them and the other one needs new leads. I dropped the one I had done  so I may as well have it redone  because it does not read correctly.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 04:16:30 AM »
He may buy pickup components from the same supplier as Artec but I seriously doubt he would risk his reputation by buying an Artec or an Epi and rewinding it. It wouldn't makes sense anyway, it would take more time to undo and clean one up than to wind a new one using new components. If I were in your shoes, I'd be very careful about saying that without proof. You and he are both small businessmen with reputations to protect.

I haven't heard his vintage reissue but I do like the sound of his replacement EB-AA Fatbucker as heard in this video.

Thanks, I don't need any advice on this subject and have no rep to protect.  I'm 70 with both feet on banana peels.  As I said I've visually A-B'd them.  It's easy to rewind those pickups, takes almost no time to cut the wire off and there's no potting.  I'd do it the same way, $16 for components can't be beat.

I'm not casting aspersions on any of his other product, simply relating my experience with one of them.  Other than that my only problem is his supposed Gretsch 'cadillac green' restoration.  He used a metallic.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 03:19:20 PM »
Did the ever actually produce a ripper with dual mudbuckers or was that just a promo/prototype thing? Regardless I think that would be a fun build.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 05:06:20 PM »
I think it's just that Ripper pups are technically Jr Mud (sidewinders like the mudbucker and generally very similar internally - just the magnet type and windings/guage differ).

This:

vs this:

(pics courtesy of Jules' site).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 10:24:53 PM »
The mud comes from the extreme overwinding. There's nothing muddy about the sidewinder design. The Ripper and Bicentennial Thunderbird pickups aren't the world's clearest pickups but I certainly wouldn't call them muddy.

Others: the Lace Holy Grail Strat pickups are sidewinders and they're anything but muddy. Likewise with the Lace PS900 series. Bill Lawrence designed and patented a sidewinder guitar pickup before he worked for Gibson, and he later sold a version for steel guitar; it was bright. The Gibson Les Paul and SG Futura models from the Gibson 2014 line had what they called a P90-H in the neck position; like the Lace PS900, it was also sidewinder humbucker that looked like a P90. It sounds clearer than regular P90. No doubt there are others out there.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:32:25 PM by Dave W »