Author Topic: A brief comment about all the musician deaths here lately.  (Read 7072 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
A brief comment about all the musician deaths here lately.
« on: February 07, 2016, 06:03:09 PM »
To put it brutally, the musicians in bands I grew up listening to have been dying since the 1960s. That many of them lived until the past year or so is simply the realization that some of them made it. In the early days they died of drug overdoses, extreme alcoholism, accidents, sometimes suicide or murder.

Some died later on from the same things.

Some died later from the lingering affects of one resulting from the other.

These days, cancer and simply old age are taking their toll. It's really sad to say but we can expect this to become more frequent in the next few years. We're lucky to have had some of them stuff performing as long as they have.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: A brief comment about all the musician deaths here lately.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 08:55:00 PM »
So true.

Here we mostly talk about rockers who have died. As someone who grew up on country music in the 50s and 60s as well as early rock and roll, I've lost count of the country stars of my youth who have passed on in the past ten years. Most of the rest are in their late 70s to their late 80s. Some are still touring but it can't go on forever.

And if they're old, I'm old too.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 04:41:27 AM »
Yep, you guys pretty much said it all.
Rick

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 07:09:58 AM »
I panicked lately when I was in a store and heard a Who song playing, then went to the store next door and heard a solo Peter Townshend song. Turned out to be coincidence... But that is gonna be a sad day for me when it comes.

I used to think it was funny when every time I saw my in laws they talked about who died recently. Doesn't seem so comical anymore.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 12:37:35 PM »
As a biology student, I (successfully) argued for an eighth "characteristic of life", which was "All living things die..."
My lecturer couldn't deny it, and for that day, she accepted that there were eight characteristics of life...

All the acts and artists we have loved will come to pass; some before us; some after us...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 03:35:26 PM »
I used to think it was funny when every time I saw my in laws they talked about who died recently. Doesn't seem so comical anymore.

In his last year, my dad commented that a month/week didn't go by when someone he knew had passed away.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 04:59:32 PM »
I remember when my dad hit about 70, one day in a down mood he commented "all my friends have died." Not a happy thought to reflect on.

It does lead one to wonder what position we will occupy in the process of all our friends passing. At times it's hard to decide whether you want to be among the last or not.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 06:49:49 PM »
The good news for followers of Hinduism is that they'll be back and maybe even better in their next lives. I'm not sure if that's the reality but it makes for a pleasant consideration.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
Up until about two years ago, I had what I called, "The Wall of Dead Bass Players" on a wall in my work area. I taped obituaries & newspaper articles of Bass players that had passed away in the last twenty years, even the bass player for the Cowsills! It ended up being a fairly massive collection of musicians. Management eventually decided that it had no value for the company & I was asked to remove it. Taking it down was another reminder of how many had passed....................
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 07:31:39 AM »
it's no secret that the life of a pro musician is not exactly conducive to good health. being in a band that's on the road a lot only compounds the problem. but then again there is willie nelson...
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 01:20:07 PM »
it's no secret that the life of a pro musician is not exactly conducive to good health. being in a band that's on the road a lot only compounds the problem. but then again there is willie nelson...

...and Keith
...and Ozzy

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 01:30:13 PM »
...and Keith
...and Ozzy

They have the same bodies, muscles and organs as the rest of us. It is a nice idea, but they certainly aren't immortal.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 03:32:33 AM »
They have the same bodies, muscles and organs as the rest of us. It is a nice idea, but they certainly aren't immortal.

Nobody is immortal.  Why some of us survive after the abuse we put ourselves through is still a mystery.  Isn't Ozzy part of a scientific study around that subject?

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 07:50:46 AM »
sounds like an urban myth. genetics is everything.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 01:41:54 PM »
  Isn't Ozzy part of a scientific study around that subject?
dunno what happened to it,it  was an article  in new scientist a couple of years ago, cant remember whether it was an actual study or just an idea, but the premise  was that we could probably learn more by studying people who took really bad care of themselves but still thrived than by looking at those who succumbed.
BTW Lemmy was the other one mentioned alongside Ozzy in the article