Author Topic: Docbass review  (Read 1880 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Docbass review
« on: January 10, 2016, 07:10:09 AM »
  Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting up with Bill at his home/shop and getting to play his creations. I was very impressed with the bass pictured along with all his other basses. For the moment I am going to keep my comments focused on the bass below. The pictures don't do it justice in person it is stunning, the finish is flawless. I have always been a sucker for natural basses showing wood grain (must be the woodworker in me). This bass has a beautiful burled maple top and nicely grained maple back. The body is thin I don't remember the exact dimension but think Rickenbacker, even at that the bass being all maple weighs 10 lbs. I don't find that unacceptable as the bass balances very nicely. In the future this model will have a 7% smaller body and depending on wood selection that will help with the weight. I love the body shape defiantly an original shaped by the classics of the past. The neck is Mighty Mite J profile,  maple and rosewood, beautifully finished, nice and straight with just a hint of relief. The action was low by most players standards, for me I'd bring it down a bit and there was plenty of adjustment left at the bridge for that.                                                                                                                                                      Ok so how's it sound? Bill has been singing the praises of the TV Jones pickups and I have to agree it is a great sounding unit, articulate without being sterile, nice fundamental low end and some zing. I got to play the bass through Bill's vintage B15N and wow just wow. With a pick or fingers I just love the tone of this bass, it sustains for days. Even with the one pickup you can get the entire spectrum from this bass, Motown thump to Geddy Lee snap. It just dawned on me that this bass has the best aspects of a Precision and a Rickenbacker sort of morphed into it's own personality. The simple one pickup layout and bridge of the P bass with the thin body maple construction of a Ric. Bill tells me the newer 7% smaller basses will have greater upper register access and sport his own head 2+2 stock design that will really tie this design together imho.    Bill has come up with beautifully crafted unique design that covers a lot of sonic territory and does it with style, elegant simplicity and play-ability. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of Bill's creations, in fact I have put my order in..........for a NR of course but that's another story and review ;) .                                                                                                                                                   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:08:10 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
Re: Docbass review
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 09:14:52 AM »
Nice review...congrats!

Those Thunder'Blades get great reviews from everybody who tries them.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »
Thanks Scott, it really helps to have an outside opinion.

Scott did mention a 7% difference in future models.  After wrestling with the oversized body and weight issue, I took my original template design and reduced it by 7%.  It amounts to a half inch reduction of the edges around the lower bouts and a bit less on the small upper bouts.  The other plus is the bass will fit snugly into a Fender style case without mods. 

It's still a large body, just more manageable and it is proportionally exact as the first models.  I'm also moving the neck up to improve upper register access and move the bridge away from the tail of the body a little.   Also have my own headstock design all set for all new models.  These are all really positive mods IMHO.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »
Nice review, Scott.

Bill, good move in moving the neck and bridge forward in the future. Also, you might want to consider recording some sound samples once you're ready with your production models. A lot of people haven't heard those TV Jones pickups.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 02:22:03 PM »
Thanks Dave.  I've got my zoom all set up to record future models.  Should work out well.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »
Nice...

NR...?  :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 03:25:07 PM »
Nice...

NR...?  :popcorn:
Bill's  Short scale NR was one of the basses I played and will review and is the impetus for me commissioning a full scale NR.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 11:19:47 PM »
I am not surprised at the  GOT comments on Docs bass. Always impressive.M
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed