Author Topic: This finish should be called "Intentional Glueburst"  (Read 1753 times)

ilan

• View Profile
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: This finish should be called "Intentional Glueburst"
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:55:16 AM »
"Hideglo"

It wouldn't be so bad (the closup pic in the aucion looks better) if the fade went all around the body like most typical bursts do vs this which does look like discolouration from overgluing during  the binding process or maybe water damage. 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 06:00:21 PM »
It has collector value (maybe not as much as he's asking) but I wouldn't want that finish regardless of price.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:17:44 AM »
I think the pic is more unfavourable than the fin is actually bad, if you zoom it, it goes all the way round and looks gently vintage, not horrible. That said, I prefer Rics in autumn or jet glo.

Not that any Squire boy will be deterred by the fin. As I write this, Yes come on my office stereo with Fly from Here and you can hear his Ric loud and clearly. I miss him. There was something life-affirming, joyous, extremely musical and gung ho about his bass playing.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 05:40:14 AM »
I've seen glueglo replicated on some '70s-era fakers. Did they use the same glue or did somebody painstakingly paint it on because they thought it was a subtle burst finish? Either way that is a nice bass!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 08:23:32 AM »
Interesting that it has a 4001C64 truss rod cover. And I don't think that pickup configuration is as "one-off" as the seller states. Rickenbacker used to have a vintage pickup option, VP, that anyone could order.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:02:28 AM »
I remember when those 6  basses appeared a few years ago. All this hubbub about this great painter being commissioned, and what does he do? A barely noticeable burst on the front of the body only. I thought it was incredibly lame. And the reverse TRC... What is that all about? Kind of an aesthetic mess overall if you ask me. 

Paul Boyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 08:12:31 AM »
Certainly, this is artistic impression limited to available parts and real estate. Blah, yes. The pickup configuration is very much like what was used on the 4001C64S, that being the reissue Toaster Top in the ½" bass position, and the reissue Horseshoe pickup in the treble position with the more modern surround. The truss-rod cover is also the "smiley" one used on the C64/C64S series. I'm not sure that there is documentation of the six that this fellow did for Chris Squire to pick from. According to the explanation, Squire kept two and the artist sold/is selling the others, this one included. If each one is painted differently, then you could say that each is a "one off," but the pickup configuration is not unique.
Author
"The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years as Rock's Bottom"