Author Topic: I hesitate to post this. $45 Thunderbird pickups.  (Read 48591 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
I hesitate to post this. $45 Thunderbird pickups.
« on: December 07, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: I hesitate to post this. $45 Thunderbird pickups.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 07:34:35 PM »
Did you look at their store? Looks like they have just about any pickup you'd want.

However: Item location:HongKong HK, United States

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 11:18:25 PM »
They sell a lot of very cheap parts but also some name brands. The Thunderbird pickup is listed on their website under their own house brand. Could be okay, you never know until you hear it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 12:06:25 AM »
Same as these we discussed a while ago

http://www.customworldguitarparts.com/default/pickups-pickup-parts/vintage-thunderbird-bass-pickup-chrome-for-gibson.html

I asked about the bridge and neck impedance values, but they only have one. They claim you can use this pickup for both neck and bridge position.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 06:24:33 AM »
Well...I bought one... should have arrived yesterday... tracking number is showing that it left New York 4 days ago... My buddy Jon Maye got his pair yesterday... PLUS...they include pickup Rings!!! Can't beat the Price!!!!! I'll let you all know how it  sounds as soon as it arrives.
I mean...paying $200-$300 is Insane......
We have:
Seymour Duncan-$200
Jason Lollar-$200
Mike Lull-$289
Thunderbucker-$175
Mojopickups in the UK-$112

How much are you willing to spend???
$50 sounds like a deal!!! But NO ONE...NO ONE will ever be like the Chandlers....they were DEAD ON EXACT...I Mean EXACT replicas......and they were about $40.00.....

I could go on about each of the above in detail about what is NOT exact...like certain radius's on the top edge and side edge of the covers...wrinkles in covers.....base plates...wire used..thickness of covers and thickness of baseplates....placement of holes in baseplate...but it's not important.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:34:10 AM by Baz Cooper »

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 01:29:30 PM »
Quite like the look of those! My Tokai T-bird has the Teflon pickups.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 02:21:33 PM »
Well...I bought one... should have arrived yesterday... tracking number is showing that it left New York 4 days ago... My buddy Jon Maye got his pair yesterday... PLUS...they include pickup Rings!!! Can't beat the Price!!!!! I'll let you all know how it  sounds as soon as it arrives.
We have:
Seymour Duncan-$200
Jason Lollar-$200
Mike Lull-$289
Thunderbucker-$175

$50 sounds like a deal!!! But NO ONE...NO ONE will ever be like the Chandlers....they were DEAD ON EXACT...I Mean EXACT replicas......and they were about $40.00.....

I could go on about each of the above in detail about what is NOT exact...like certain radius's on the top edge and side edge of the covers...wrinkles in covers.....base plates...wire used..thickness of covers and thickness of baseplates....placement of holes in baseplate...but it's not important.

well....Tracking # says they FINALLY arrived in Chicago... Hopefully tomorrow???????

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 04:39:19 PM »
 :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 06:11:17 PM »
We have:
Seymour Duncan-$200
Jason Lollar-$200
Mike Lull-$289
Thunderbucker-$175

I don't think those prices are too high for American made pickups with a limited market.

You care about exact specs of the originals, that's fine. I wouldn't.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »
I do care when it comes to restoration...can't be properly restored if it's Not exact...if it's a New or custom build I'd go with Thunderbuckers, or Mike Lulls or Jason Lollar...

vates

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 01:45:06 AM »
Subscribed for a review ;)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 09:07:33 PM »
Got it today... So far...sounds great..Identical to a 1960's Bird... need to try it through a Big amp to know for sure...but it did sound stellar....you May need to wax pot them.. I did that today....GREAT deal!!!!!!

vates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 11:21:36 PM »
Thanks! Is it okay to ask for soundclips? ;)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 11:54:51 PM »
Got it today... So far...sounds great..Identical to a 1960's Bird... need to try it through a Big amp to know for sure...but it did sound stellar....you May need to wax pot them.. I did that today....GREAT deal!!!!!!

Nice. I have been thinking about buying a couple of these for months. Guess I can tie that knot now.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 08:18:32 AM »
Just tried it through an early GK800rb and a vintage Orange reflex 2x15. Nice tone... sounds like a Real T bird pickup...better jump on these....