Author Topic: Recommendations for a LOUD head?  (Read 1980 times)

rexdiablo

• View Profile
Recommendations for a LOUD head?
« on: December 02, 2015, 01:15:03 PM »
I've started playing with a heavy rock to metal band, who are firm believers in volume as a weapon. I bought a Sunn Sonaro on encouragement from this forum, and will love you all forever for that!!! I've used a GK 700rbii, an SVT 4-pro, tc electronic BH 250, genz benz streamliner, and am currently using a Verellen Meatsmoke rack mount pre into a crown power amp, but the sunn is my favorite by far.

So I want something that hits that Sunn sound and feel, but that can safely push a 2 ohm load. Sorry if there is a painfully obvious way to get here, but I'm not very tech savvy. Any advice?
Go fast, take chances.

luve2fli

• View Profile
Re: Recommendations for a LOUD head?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 08:10:44 AM »
EBS Fafner heads are consistently stable running continuous 2 ohm loads and have a TON of tone shaping capabilities. Mine can sound like an SVT, HiWatt, Eden, SWR ..... whatever. You can go hi-fi on steroids right to old-school, tube-driven.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 09:38:53 AM »
A well tuned vintage Ampeg SVT will give you everything you need.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 11:12:06 AM »
For that matter...I think all those old dinosaur Peavey heads that you can find on Craigslist for $150 will run at 2 ohms, and certainly be very loud!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 05:54:15 PM »
Sunn 1200S 1200 watts at 2 ohms. It's a great versatile and powerful head.

rexdiablo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 01:57:50 PM »
Thanks for the ideas! I'll get to looking! 1200S sounds like it may be perfect, always wanted to try out an EBS as well...
Go fast, take chances.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 09:54:18 AM »
For that matter...I think all those old dinosaur Peavey heads that you can find on Craigslist for $150 will run at 2 ohms, and certainly be very loud!

I think the Peavey Mk IV was sold with an accompanying 215 2-ohm cab. I narrowly missed out on one, which I always regret. Apparently they are a bit vanilla, but you could run the Verellen Meatsmoke into the power amp of the Peavey?