Author Topic: Watt with a Rickenbacker!  (Read 1594 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Watt with a Rickenbacker!
« on: November 28, 2015, 12:30:16 PM »
Not something I've seen before. Not convinced about the music, but cool to see something new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1up4D-xk0HM

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Watt with a Rickenbacker!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 07:56:11 PM »
I'm convinced. 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »
Heh!  I'm with Granny.  Yeah that's a lot of great early Minutemen stuff. Pretty solidly delivered (aurally if not physically) by Tom Watson standing in for D Boon, and Raul Morales standing in for George Hurley.  A lot of this stuff was written when Watt played with a pick, sounds mushier here.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 05:30:45 AM »
A lot of this stuff was written when Watt played with a pick, sounds mushier here.

That is probably what I'm unconvinced by.  :mrgreen: I like the Double Nickels album but I'm never sure of where it sits on the line between genius musicianship and seat-of-the-pants in terms of what they are doing. I guess it doesn't really matter, but the dry, tight sound of Double Nickels is missing here. They need to bring back George Hurley!

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:10:23 PM »
Double Nickels sounds like all fingerstyle, albeit with a brighter sound than he plays with now. I was thinking of the pick on earlier tracks like "Cut" or "If Reagan Played Disco".
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:01:19 AM »
Seems like Watt was using a white PJ bass for a fair chunk of the Minutemen period.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 07:44:17 AM »
Yup, the white P/J bass was a frankenstein.  I googled it, he talks about it quite a bit here:  http://www.talkbass.com/threads/minutemen-firehose-tele-bass.61987/

I miss George Hurley too! Here's Watt, Hurley, and the franken-bass in question - first with D. Boon in full on one-of-a-kind performance (and no time for tuning apparently) ... and then a bit later with Firehose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHFjGI26soI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l94v8u1Cv_o

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 09:25:43 AM »
Heh!  I'm with Granny.  Yeah that's a lot of great early Minutemen stuff. Pretty solidly delivered (aurally if not physically) by Tom Watson standing in for D Boon, and Raul Morales standing in for George Hurley.  A lot of this stuff was written when Watt played with a pick, sounds mushier here.

I didn't realise it was a lot of Minutemen stuff.  Somehow I like this more than any Minutemen stuff I have heard (ducks for cover).  Something more emo (like Fugazi 90s emo vs 2000s mascara and silly haircuts emo) about the delivery that I like.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 12:26:33 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »
In terms of Emo, I like the early band 'Pond'. Seems their bassist used a Rick from time to time.