Author Topic: Jaco movie  (Read 5189 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Jaco movie
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:45:44 AM »
No idea if it's any good, and I can only take moderate doses of Jaco, but I'll probably see this:
http://jacopastorius.com/film/
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Jaco movie
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »
Trujillo seems very likable. That wasn't always the case with Jaco. As a person.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 04:03:09 PM »
I heard about it from this:   http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_656_-_robert_trujillo_flea_aziz_ansari
I've been listening to WTF for quite a while, my favorite interview show... he usually interviews comedians and actors, but there's a fair number of musicians too.
(Rarely bassists, but there's a typically incomprehensible Watt interview in the archives.)   Oh, and there was one with the head of some state or other ;-)
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 09:46:45 PM »
I can't summon up any interest, but then I'm not a Jaco fan.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:29:52 AM »
Nor am I - I prefer Stanley Clarke when it comes to fusion bass gods -, but Jaco is of course an influence. And 90% of all fretless bass recording sounds in popular music today still borrow from his sound vision.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 09:22:07 AM »
(Rarely bassists, but there's a typically incomprehensible Watt interview in the archives.)

I've listened to the Watt one. I didn't learn much that I hadn't already picked up from the We Jam Econo documentary. Does Watt get baked before these shows? He seemed like the guy that was just on the annoying end of being stoned. The stuff about his medical issues wasn't especially interesting, but he blabbered on at length!

As for Jaco, I doubt we will ever see the return of a time when a bass solo can basically comprise endless fidgeting and amp adjustments, interspersed with short licks and runs. I appreciate what Jaco did, but whatever message he was putting in his music is pretty comprehensively lost on me. Far too convoluted and intellectually highbrow to be worth the grief, in my opinion.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 09:42:14 AM »
I heard about it from this:   http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_656_-_robert_trujillo_flea_aziz_ansari
I've been listening to WTF for quite a while, my favorite interview show... he usually interviews comedians and actors, but there's a fair number of musicians too.
(Rarely bassists, but there's a typically incomprehensible Watt interview in the archives.)   Oh, and there was one with the head of some state or other ;-)

Love the story about Lemmy asking Joni Mitchell about the chords in one of her songs. Great imagery.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 09:52:09 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXiYkOEBv8U
The best rock bass solo ever and people don't even know about it.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 12:42:03 PM »
Ewww no. A hopelessly mundane boogie with Jaco adding nothing.  :bored:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »
Jaco, shmaco.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 09:25:10 PM »
I'm merely repeating Trujillo's sentiments. Best rock bass solo is a completely subjective topic of course. Jaco wasn't the rockingest cat but his proficiency on the instrument was undeniable. It was cool to hear him throw in Hendrix quotes in his solos. Third stone from the sun often I think.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 03:10:40 AM »
Can't think why I'd end up with a fretless Jazz... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 05:39:29 AM »
I just got a streaming link to the movie for my magazine. No fan, but curious!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 06:26:43 AM »
Always liked Jaco before he got famous...even liked most of the earlier Weather Report stuff.   I must have practiced "Teen Town" a zillion times back in the day...also Birdland...note for note.

Anyone who wants to know about Jaco, should look up a Pat Metheny album called "Bright Size Life"...Jaco at his warmest, most beautiful and lucid self.  Just Jaco, the bass and a B15N along with guitar and drums...sort of a jazz power trio.

Everything on that album was breathtaking, and appropriately played.  Not sure how he got where he ended up...drugs, alcohol, mental illness, and ego problems...point is, if you work at it, there is a wealth of Jaco's recorded playing  that is unique and spectacular in the early years.  Not so much after he was a star.

Gotta admit I liked Hejira, also. Oh well.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »
The best rock bass solo ever and people don't even know about it.

Maybe because it sounds like a jazz solo, not a rock solo
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive