Author Topic: Glenn Cornick bass timeline pre-JT through Wild Turkey and Paris - updated  (Read 10063 times)

D.M.N.

• View Profile
And finally for the Wild Turkey period, my favorite, the Inverness Green NR II. Here is the photo from a prior post that has a dead link. You can see the Orange cab mentioned above and some of the speaker shadows.

Another early shot, sticker just barely visible:

And an early stage of modification, before the pickup change, but with the Vibrola added, stickers on the headstock, and some sort of change to the trussrod cover:

And a drawing someone made of the NR II in the early stages of mods (Vibrola, stickers on headstock):

And last for now, an addition during the Paris period, a Rickenbacker 3000 (two knobs, smaller gap between bridge and pickguard, short scale):

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
This is an interesting interview with him, kudos for admitting to dislike Jack Bruce for "overplaying terribly".  8)

https://thejethrotullboard.proboards.com/thread/1978/2007-tulls-first-bassist-cornick

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

morrow

• View Profile
Although I’m not really a rock guy I loved Cornick’s playing , especially the way he put together minor walks. Very melodic. Big influence on me. Great player.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
No other Tull bassist - and that includes people like Glascock and Pegg - tied Anderson’s music together as melodically as Glenn.

But Anderson is damning with faint praise/patronizing about him to this day.

I guess Anderson wanted a bassist that could play intricate stuff and rehearse it well, but it had to be all about expressing what was in his mind, not the bassist's. Glenn was too organic a player for that.

Jethro Tull's music is structured and thought out to a degree where it doesn't really flow (or roll) for me. I have all those lavish boxed sets of their remixed/remastered work because they were a highly original "band" (well, not really) and one of the PROG greats, but I can't really love them. You hear the drawing board creation process in a lot of their music. Glenn's bass playing was an antidote to that on those first three albums. The bass playing on the widely acclaimed Aqualung album by Jeffrey Hammond(-Hammond) OTOH is largely unremarkable if you consider what possibilities the music could have offered to a more creative bassist. But Jethro Tull is Ian Anderson's vision and nobody else's.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 07:02:35 AM by uwe »

patman

• View Profile
I have a box set with the very first 3 albums, and it is amazing to me how quickly the music became rather sophisticated.

The first album is kind of crude, but they improve by light years on the second and third album.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Actually, that first album is one of my favorites from their oeuvre!  :mrgreen: The music was then still very warm and organic.

But my Tull tastes are kinda odd, I like Passion Play and War Child too. I know, Anderson derides today his attempts to play saxophone, but I liked what he did with it and the colors it gave JT on those albums. Of course he wasn't a real sax player, but much like David Bowie his playing had something.

Alanko

• View Profile
Who was Neil Clark? Did he make the black pickguard for the TBII seen in the Tull footage from 1970?