Author Topic: I knew this was coming, but...  (Read 1485 times)

patman

• View Profile
I knew this was coming, but...
« on: October 15, 2015, 05:47:58 AM »
We had to put the family dog to sleep.  Thirteen years old, cancer in one leg...she hobbled around on three.

She was my best friend.

I have never grieved this hard in my life.

Pat

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: I knew this was coming, but...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:36:17 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about you losing your best pal.
Stay strong.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 07:01:41 AM »
I feel for you man, sorry to hear.  It's terrible.

One of my boxers went two years ago - 6 month of heart failure...caught him in my arms on his last heart attack.  Memories never fade.   Now my other one was diagnosed with a golfball sized tumor between her heart and lungs.  She was supposed to be gone in July (had date and time booked), but blessed I am as Prednisone seems to have given her more life and she's holding steady.  But it's a lot of work...a few infections have come and gone among other things.

Worst thing in the world to me.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 08:07:53 AM »
our dogs are like our children, better actually  :)  its always hard to see them go but the love and loyalty they give is worth every tear. my heart goes out to you. :sad:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:24:34 AM »
I feel for those who lose their wonderful pets. It's truly sad that their clocks run so much faster than ours, so the least we can do is give them good care and treatment in return for their love and dedication to us. In return, they simply love us. As someone said, they are just a part of our lives, but we're everything to them.

We have an older Dachsund/Beagle mix who is noisy but a wonderful little guy.  We're doing all we can to keep him healthy. About three years ago we lost our little Lhasa, who was a loving, quiet, delightful dog. I still miss him.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:18:30 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 01:04:19 PM »
losing pets is hard, especially dogs

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
My condolences, Pat. Losing them is hard enough, even harder when you have to make the decision.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 03:22:55 PM »

Pat,

Very sorry for your loss - Like many here I know of it all too well, always remember that you gave her a very good life and when she really needed you, you were there.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 03:27:10 PM »
Dave...luckily my wife made the decision yesterday while I was at work...the dog was very lethargic...our vet makes house calls...He said it was time...it was the right decision...

This is a busy tax-time...I could not have functioned yesterday at work (if I knew what was happening at home)...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 12:22:19 PM by patman »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 12:11:37 PM »
Sorry for your loss. Pets have a special place in people's hearts.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »
So sorry for your loss...
My daughter is of the thorough belief that all dogs go to a better place when they pass...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »
Dave...luckily my wife made the decision yesterday while I was at work...the dog was very lethargic...our vet makes house calls...He said it was time...it was the right decision...

This is a busy tax-time...I could not have functioned yesterday at work (if I knew what was happening at home)...

That doesn't make it any easier. It's good that your vet was able to do it at your home.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 01:59:42 AM »
That dog had a good life. And a gentle death. Life spans of humans and most of their pets are different, that is why we have to say good bye again and again. But viewed from the perspective of the dog, it's all good. He had his family pack and a sheltered long life. The dog was happy to have been with you and it was ok for him to go. So in all your grief, feel good about that.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 06:16:05 PM »
Sorry for your loss. Its never easy saying goodbye to our pets.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 08:52:08 PM »
That dog had a good life. And a gentle death. Life spans of humans and most of their pets are different, that is why we have to say good bye again and again. But viewed from the perspective of the dog, it's all good. He had his family pack and a sheltered long life. The dog was happy to have been with you and it was ok for him to go. So in all your grief, feel good about that.

So true. The dog had a happy life. But the grief we feel is hard to bear, every time.