Author Topic: Bass Northwest  (Read 3809 times)

patman

• View Profile
Bass Northwest
« on: September 27, 2015, 10:12:38 AM »
Is closed...news to me

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Bass Northwest
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 10:55:34 AM »
Read about that over on TB.  Too bad, it was a cool store, nice people, and a fun location in Pioneer Square.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 11:11:52 AM »
That's too bad. End of an era, for sure. Still, it's impressive to see an independent bass store last for as long as they did.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 05:42:09 PM »
It sucks, but the economy is what it is. The local GC seriously only cleans the bathrooms and displays Chinese Strat Packs; it's only a matter of time for it, too. I wonder if Talkbass still pulls in the ad revenue it once did? Too bad overhead for them is negligible. Karma and all...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 05:54:38 PM »

Evan Sheely the owner, has had some health issues and that's what's caused the store to close, not economics.
I'll miss him, he was a great help to me in getting a couple of my 'Birds and he always had some fun stories to tell about being in TKO.
His for partner Chad Beeler has a new bass only store open in West Seattle, not the scale of BNW yet but give him time.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 06:27:27 PM »
Evan Sheely the owner, has had some health issues and that's what's caused the store to close, not economics.
I'll miss him, he was a great help to me in getting a couple of my 'Birds and he always had some fun stories to tell about being in TKO.
His for partner Chad Beeler has a new bass only store open in West Seattle, not the scale of BNW yet but give him time.

It's nice to know that I'm wrong about THAT gloom and doom; I know health issues firsthand. There used to be a local music store, Rik's Music, the same ones who became semi-famous on TB right before I was shown the door (but weren't affiliated with payola-Marbass-gate). The store's owners, both named Rick, split with the logo going to the brick and mortar moving from a strip mall to a converted steakhouse and RMS is now the mail order darling of the preteen crowd, IOW, the part of the business that got famous online, with a storefront I've never visited. The old strip mall store was heavenly back in the day; I remember a full display of mid 80's Fenders, Strat, Tele, Jazz, and P-Bass all in the two-tone salmon- burst with white pickup covers in the basses above the Trace Elliot bass amps that sold like crazy in the first incarnation of the strip mall store, which later expanded before the split. My first bass actually was bought from one of the owners who was a manager at the long-closed Morrell Music (the "sister store" survives in Johnson City). Before that, Knoxville had a legendary place called Huegley's, but that was before my time.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 08:29:16 PM »
IIRC Evan Sheely had a very serious health issue back in the Dudepit days. I wish him well. Hopefully Chad will have enough business to make a living.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 07:19:16 AM »
That's too bad. I never bought anything from them but I'm still sorry to hear. Prayers for him.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 07:40:52 AM »

What's the name/address of that one?  Hopefully I'll get a chance to visit....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 01:06:31 PM »
What's the name/address of that one?  Hopefully I'll get a chance to visit....

Here's Chad's shop http://www.thebassshopseattle.com/pages/contact-us

I can't say enough good about Evan, he always made a trip into the shop a nice experience, it was one of the few places you could even look at a vintage Gibson bass in this town. At one point with TKO he travelled with 6 'Birds, he told me how he loved to have them all lined up onstage - He was also responsible for getting Tom Petersson to sign the PG on Steve Barr's Surf Green Thunderbird 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 03:45:28 PM »
It's a bit out of the way, but the inventory is pretty strong in high quality basses. I hope he does well!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 05:45:26 PM »

Al, West Seattle is worth it just for the view :)