Author Topic: Breaking Deep Purple News? Chile in Time!!!  (Read 15294 times)

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:08:03 PM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Breaking Deep Purple News?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 04:45:47 PM »

Perhaps our Gruppenleader will attend a show  :-*
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 04:57:46 PM »
I'm counting on him to post a detailed review and video. And possibly a couple non-related videos. ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 06:00:56 PM »

Perhaps our Gruppenleader will attend a show  :-*

You bet he will!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 11:41:21 PM »
It's a given, somewhat akin to green grass, sky blue, and Catholic Popes...

Fat chance of a gig in Inverness...!  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 03:34:17 AM »
It must be because of the relentless support from this forum.

Blackmore? Schwarzmehr? Der Schwarzmehrwaffen?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 03:35:29 AM »
I believe it when I'm standing before the stage. I do think though that he is sincere with Blackmore's Night now being the musical love of his life - some of the material he does with his missus is so corny only a severe case of love blindness can be an explanation - Cher and Greg were credible in comparison (and Cher is way hotter than Candice too, so Herr Allman had mitigating circumstances). Last time I saw Ritchie do a rockshow was about 20 years ago, in Gothenburg. Having seen the man about a dozen times before, I could feel that he was restless again and that there was no future for Rainbow post-DP-reunion. Soon after - following a US tour to dwindling audiences - he set up Blackmore's Night who eschew arenas and stadiums consciously, not because their (European) audience is too small.

He should probably concentrate on Rainbow songs - whenever he did Purple songs without Jon Lord and Ian Paice it made me wince a little. I never liked Rainbow's versions of Mistreated (clumsy, no sex), Lazy (abysmal, too fast, no swing), Smoke on the Water (pointless) and Burn (unelegant). Blackmore was of course pivotal for Purple as a creative force and his guitar solos provided many of their highlights, but outside of DP he was never able to recreate the Purple groove (choosing a heavy-handed drummer like Cozy Powell after a swingmeister such as Ian Paice defies explanation to this day), no matter which of the countless Rainbow line ups you choose (the only exception is the Rainbow debut with the Elf musiscians who had a nice groove of their own). Rainbow always sounded a little stiff and leaden to me, teutonic even.

But, yeah ...

And some of his solos will probably make me cream in my pants, I can't help it.  :-\ The longer I play bass the more I realize that his raptor-like soaring approach to lead guitar playing has left its mark on me even as a bassist (who never wanted to play guitar and still doesn't).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:16:32 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 03:46:22 AM »
It must be because of the relentless support from this forum.

Blackmore? Schwarzmehr? Der Schwarzmehrwaffen?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I also like Bill Nelson!!!

And Ross Stagg (great name, great looks, great hair!).

Not to forget the Maels!

But my love for those three (all of them considerably more poppy than anything DP ever did, underneath my hard rock hide lurks a pop douche bag  :gay: ) never elicits quite the same reactions here as the one for Blackers who always was and remains a divisive and unfashionable ole bugger!

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 05:01:11 AM »
Videos blocked at work, but I'm guessing there is a Sparks video in that mix? I thought the Rickenbacker tone on the Kimono is top notch, and 90% of the music on there is excellent. They should have replaced 'Complaints' with the stronger 'Barbecutie' in my opinion, but otherwise it is a solid wee album.

*Shrugaroonies*

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 07:36:05 AM »
The early Sparks stuff (post-exile from California cause the Yanks couldn't do nothing with them while they were busy listening to Foghat  :mrgreen: ) is of course brilliant and the Ric sound blissful, but I posted something later, I like the Maels of all eras, even the disco Moroder stuff. But I think their absolute anthem is this here:

That is Glam-Gershwin-Metal with great lyrics, who else plays stuff like this? They are an American treasure - albeit undiscovered by their countrymen.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:50:36 AM by uwe »

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 01:46:03 PM »
I don't really know that end of Sparks. I really only know Kimono, and some of the album that came after that, at best.

Its all old boomer music anyway.  :bored:  :P

Ritchie Blackmore is steadfastly on my 'possible aspergers' list. This is me dragging all of this screaming into the 21st Century.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 04:01:04 PM »
Asperger is the intellectual insulation of the sane.

"I'd go crazy if I paid attention all the time."

Kris Kristofferson

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 04:34:44 PM »
Asperger is the intellectual insulation of the sane.
is that a quote or an observation?
it could be interesting to see what some of  my aspies make of that  line

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 04:24:24 AM »
More of a personal philosophy. I like my fellow man/men to be well-off and happy and they can do what they like, but by all means I do not want to be a part of them (as a collective) nor am I unduly bothered by the way they or do not do things (whether it's chrome hardware or golf clubs), the majority is no benchmark for me except for how I do not want to be. I'm a benevolent-towards-the-collective autist. My aim is not to be better than others, just different. I wallow in my insulated individuality. And my personal experience is that the collective is generally fine with my approach, they scratch their heads, shrug their soldiers and move on, all the best to them. Uwe was always odd and has chosen to remain so, he wishes the rest of the world a happy life but please don't call.

I developed that as a child, I experienced early on that you can remove yourself from the rat race in total by just ignoring it/blending it out - voilà, it's not even there anymore. I had no chance of competing in being normal (I was never good at anything other people tended to be good at) so I chose being singular - and without competition. I find being part of a majority generally disconcerting.

Reading this I'm probably a curious mix of Ayn Rand and Karl Marx!  :mrgreen: A walking-talking dialecticism.

Edith says: "You're nice with everyone only because basically you don't really give a damn what people think of you. You have your own bubble." And she is convinced that I'm semi-autistic and only let a few people into my kingdom whose openening hours are largely unclear to the public. Admission discretionary. :mrgreen:

I have the Doobies' What a Fool Believes running on my office stereo just now - I used to hate that song, but these days I marvel at the harmonies, I'm a weirdo alright!  8)