Author Topic: Gretsch 2202 pickups on Da 'Bay  (Read 2013 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Gretsch 2202 pickups on Da 'Bay
« on: August 31, 2015, 03:43:36 PM »
Just spotted someone with Gretsch 2202 pickups for sale on Ebay, complete with pickup surround.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131540611902?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These are a TV Jones design and they sound great!  I have one in my Bronco, and it makes the bass.

(I'd add a photo but Photobucket is down at the moment...)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Gretsch 2202 pickups on Da 'Bay
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 01:20:38 AM »

At your service... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 06:14:16 AM »
Thanks!!

There's mine, installed. 

Really, there aren't many pickups that I single out as worthy of note - but this is one that I like. The pickup mounts on the surround ring.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 06:35:47 AM »
you sir, are becoming the uwe of gretch. take that comment however you want to. :o
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 08:24:20 AM »
Sounds like an archaic title:  "Sir Uwe of Gretsch."  On second thought, it's the kind of title the Python troupe would have used in a musical sketch involving nobility.

"She turned me into a Gretsch!"

"A Gretsch?"

"Well, I got Fendered...."

(Maybe I free associate too much.  :o  )

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »
Is that an MIA Fender or a MIM Fender...? :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 04:32:03 PM »
Most of the Fenders from members here are MIA - in the standard sense.  Long gone.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 04:50:25 PM »
Most of the Fenders from members here are MIA - in the standard sense.  Long gone.

I doubt that.

Even Uwe has Fenders, he just doesn't talk about them.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 05:45:44 PM »
I doubt that.

Even Uwe has Fenders, he just doesn't talk about them.

Fender: the love that dare not speak its name (here).

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 02:17:08 AM »
These look identical to some cheap Firebird-style pickups I've seen on Ebay. Right down to the chunky black surround. Coincidence?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 01:18:35 PM »
Probably.  One soapbar pickup doesn't look that much different from another. Your gotcher black plastic cover and you gotcher chrome cover.

And...neither do any of the multitudinous P-style pickups, J-style pickups, MM-style pickups, etc. They all look pretty same/same to me.

It's how they sound that counts. And that "chunky" black surround is the standard TV-Jones size surround, which I consider to be a feature, not a bug.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 01:25:40 PM »
I suspect it's a variant of the Firebird mini-humbucker design under the cover. The design is decades old. Still, the ad copy that Musicians Friend and others used on their websites said that these were designed by TV Jones. Bottom line, the sound from these seems to be popular.

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
I had a Gretsch bass from the late 90s, just before the current "Electromatic" series came out. My bass self-destructed and I ended up parting it out, to resurrect my Hofner. I can confirm that the pups DO sound great. I can also tell you that they seem identical to the cheap "Firebird style" mini humbuckers on the Bay. I haven't actually swapped the 2 onto the same bass, but the size, wire colors, stickers on the pup bottoms, etc. were all exactly the same. I got a mini from GFS, a pair of minis off Ebay (for less than half of what the single from GFS was) and now a set of minis with 4 polepieces, all on my HOndo Jazz project, and they all sound pretty much the same.
I do have a pair of the chrome pup rings if anyone wants them, for whatever the shipping costs.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 08:34:01 PM »
Interesting!  Maybe they do have a common background or design.  I sure don't know.  I do know that when the 2202 bass was in production, there were sure a lot of guys posting on TB about how much they liked the sound of that bass and pickup.  So do I.

As it happens, I have a hollow-body Matsumoku short scale bass that needs a single pickup, and it's probably going to get the single 2202 Electromatic pickup I have. I have a Filtertron available too, but I'm probably more tempted to use the 2202 pickup.