Author Topic: A victory over class action shysters  (Read 426 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
A victory over class action shysters
« on: August 28, 2015, 09:08:38 PM »
Court clears Gibson, Fender and Guitar Center of price fix allegations

I wasn't even aware of the lawsuit, and I have no love for any of three corporations, but it's good to see common sense prevail. There's been a trend toward MAP pricing in most retail industries for years now, not just musical instruments. No way was there any collusion here. It was yet another suit filed in order to get a big payday for class action lawyers.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: A victory over class action shysters
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:13:07 AM »
I like how the ruling was basically: the plaintiffs could not state a case- DUH. MAP pricing is a sales tool that actually helps OTHER companies to Guitar Center's detriment.  There are plenty of shady things that could use cleaning up in the MI retail world. MAP pricing is NOT one of them. When the FTC more directly regulated commerce, stuff like this would never have even been heard in court.  A similar suit was brought against Mesa Boogie recently for the same thing and likewise dismissed.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 07:52:37 PM »
Most people would be amazed at the outcome of class action suits that settle. Here's one that's all too typical, despite the law.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:24:01 AM »
i got a check in the mail one day for almost 1,000 dollars from allstate. they carried my car insurance at the time and were involved in a class action suit that i was not even aware of. the lawyers must have hit the jackpot on that one.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead