Author Topic: Always wanted one - Bullet bass  (Read 6899 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Always wanted one - Bullet bass
« on: August 25, 2015, 07:59:44 AM »
I've always been intrigued by the USA Fender Bullet basses.  Coming in 30 and 34" scale was a great idea they had.  I've had Musicmasters and Mustangs before but I never felt comfortable with the mini body or its design.  I think the Bullet in 30" scale is a nice hybrid between a Mustang and a full size Fender.  So......I've been watching for years and just never jumped on one.  Finally, I decided it was time and got a nice specimen, USA 1981, for a good price.  Can't wait to try it out.  Just can't get over my love of short scales!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Always wanted one - Bullet bass
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 11:15:20 AM »
Good for you! IIRC you get the same electronics and 19-fret neck as the Mustang but with a larger body.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:42:57 AM »
Very cool!  Such tame colors, though...although when you buy used, you get the color that comes with the deal.

Reports will be appreciated!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 01:33:28 PM »
Good for you! IIRC you get the same electronics and 19-fret neck as the Mustang but with a larger body.

Yeah, I do believe it is Mustang electronics and neck specs, except for the cool headstock profile.  I always like the sound of my Mustangs, but not the bodies.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »
Very cool!  Such tame colors, though...although when you buy used, you get the color that comes with the deal.

Reports will be appreciated!

Well, I like the muted aged white.  Attractive to old geezers, I suppose.  I will report for sure!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 07:41:48 AM »
That's cool man. That body does seem like an improvement. Enjoy!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 09:16:11 AM »
Well, I like the muted aged white.  Attractive to old geezers, I suppose.  I will report for sure!

Nothing at all wrong with that color (said the old man). Not everything needs to be bright.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 10:42:06 AM »
Nothing at all wrong with that color (said the old man). Not everything needs to be bright.

Not meant to be a complaint, more of an observation.  But I still might be tempted to break out the striping tape and temporarily Mustang-ize it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 01:52:43 PM »
  These are real sleepers! I never knew they came in 30" scale! Learn something new every day!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 02:12:43 PM »
The perfect bass to have a bullet truss rod and yet to no avail.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 06:50:23 AM »
Got the bass yesterday and it plays great.  Low action without a lot of buzzing.  It's pretty much set up the way I like it.  The tone out of it is rich with mids and highs, very growly with rounds on it.  The bottom end is nice as well and I'm looking forward to trying it out at practice tonight to see if it has the lows I love through the big Mesa rig. I wanted to say it reminds me a little of a p bass through my B-15, but it has less pronounced lows, so I can't say that.  It could be the amp as well. 

It has most of its wear on the finger board, the body and finish is in great shape.  It doesn't really need anything done to it.  The body feels so much better than a Mustang.  The extra weight and size make a difference for me.  A nice inexpensive vintage piece!  More on it soon.........

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 01:16:54 PM »
Bill, that sounds great!  I'm curious as to the weight difference between it and a Mustang.  I really like the light weight of my EB-0 and my Bronco isn't that much heavier.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 07:07:53 AM »
Bill, that sounds great!  I'm curious as to the weight difference between it and a Mustang.  I really like the light weight of my EB-0 and my Bronco isn't that much heavier.

The Bullet performed beautifully last night.  It started off rough however.  I spent a couple songs twirling the EQ knobs to get the tone I wanted.  It had great lows, but the mids and highs were weak.  Nothing seemed to help and I was getting discouraged.  Then, I flipped the compression off and the bass roared across all four strings!  It sounded just as I expected.... Finally.  I didn't realize the compression was actually holding the single coil pup back.  The bass had a full deep tone but the rounds gave  it a nice low key growl.  The mesa really seemed to like the little beast.  Naturally, the well used neck feels nicely broken in and I'm leaving all of the player grunge on it.  Love the 30" scale.  Going to take it to practice next wee too.

Al, I'll weigh it when I get a chance.  The one thing I'd like is a thumb rest above the strings.  If I decide to do that I'll get a replacement guard and glue it on.  It's a keeper.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 07:31:16 AM »
Very interesting comments...and thanks.  I haven't ever really used a compressor, but I would not have suspected that effect.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 10:17:37 AM »
I wouldn't have suspected the compressor either. Regardless of the cause, sometimes it just takes a little while to find the combination that works.