Author Topic: Blueprints/measurements of 20/20  (Read 22637 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Blueprints/measurements of 20/20
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2015, 08:45:59 PM »
I suspect that my guess that the pickups are out of phase is correct. This site http://www.steinbergerworld.com/emg-hb.htm mentions
"Note - Pickup pairs MUST be in phase!  The later HB was designed with "normal" phase.  EMG no longer makes any stock bass humbucking pickups out of phase.   If you need to replace a broken or damaged SS with an HB, you'll need to have a phase inverter wired to one of the pickups. It's a much simpler solution and probably cheaper than ordering a custom out-of-phase pickup.  Most people usually replace both pickups at the same time, so few have ever encountered this problem in the field."

I think that I need a phase inverter.

I didn't know EMG ever made an out of phase EMG HB, but unless you know that yours is, I wouldn't just assume that's the case.

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2015, 11:39:23 PM »
My suspect is that actually the HB is standard one, while the Gibson 20/20 pickup is out of phase. Unfortunately I have no idea about how to verify my guess
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2015, 10:01:02 PM »
My suspect is that actually the HB is standard one, while the Gibson 20/20 pickup is out of phase. Unfortunately I have no idea about how to verify my guess

Couldn't you temporarily wire a passive pickup in place of one, then the other? That way you ought to be able to figure out if either one is internally wired out of phase.

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 07:07:09 AM »
I just ordered a Emg Phase inverter that I should receive in 10 days from US. Now it is time to finish the bass. The body received sealer and is now drying before sanding.
Any guess of a close match to Luna silver? I was thinking to RAL 7034 but suggestions are welcome.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 05:52:10 PM »
Luna Silver seemed to be a metallic paint, like a silver version of the paint used on the Les Paul Gold top. Not Much comes up when you Google it. On the other hand, if you Google Ferrari Red, more info pops up................

http://colors.findthedata.com/l/726/Ferrari-Red

If you don't mind this color, it might be more readily available...........
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2015, 09:26:18 PM »
How close is Luna Silver to Silver Mist Poly? That's supposedly equivalent to Fender's Inca Silver, which is Dupont Lucite 2436L

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2015, 02:06:22 AM »
I do not think that it if Inca Silver. I found that RAL 7034 is a very close match. The main difference that I see is that the original Luna Silver has some small quantity of metallic inside, but it is very difficult to guess what and how much.
I think that I will go for a traditional acrylic with a polished transparent finish to not complicate the project. I prefer to maintain the original finish on the neck, and actually I prefer Luna Silver to Ferrari Red, even if I am Italian.

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2015, 07:42:34 AM »
This weekend I installed an EMG Pi2, a phase switch. I reversed the phase of the Gibson bridge pickup and Boom, the sound improved a lot. Now she plays great! I left the option to have out-of-phase pick-ups just in case. It's a great bass and I really like how the EMG neck pickup plays.
Now I ordered decal paper for the logo on the horn. Next weekend I should complete painting in Ral 7034 color. It is actually a little darker that real Silver Luna, but I hope that after clearing and polishing will appear brighter.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2015, 12:05:31 PM »
I'm happy that the phase switch worked out for you.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2015, 05:58:12 PM »
You're going into unchartered territory........... Going where no man has ever gone before!! I'm glade everything is coming together so well...........

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2015, 03:07:15 AM »
You're going into unchartered territory........... Going where no man has ever gone before!! I'm glade everything is coming together so well...........

And I included another fine addition: I added an extra 9v battery to supply at 18V the EMG pickup. It plays more authoritative. I still wonder how good active EMG HB plays. I really like that sound at the point that I am thinking to hide one under the chrome of some spare Thunderbird covers I have

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2015, 04:45:38 PM »
And I included another fine addition: I added an extra 9v battery to supply at 18V the EMG pickup. It plays more authoritative. I still wonder how good active EMG HB plays. I really like that sound at the point that I am thinking to hide one under the chrome of some spare Thunderbird covers I have

You can buy a separate EMG preamp for use with any passive (or active) pickups. On this page, the ones with Control in the name will work http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/bass-accessories.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:54:08 PM by Dave W »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2015, 06:02:55 PM »
Looks like our own Baz Cooper...........

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »
Yes, it's Baz. See his post in the For Sale section http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=9820.0