Author Topic: Blueprints/measurements of 20/20  (Read 22638 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Blueprints/measurements of 20/20
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »
Still no response from Jules on that missing wiring page.

At least you can get going now.

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 11:04:35 AM »
Here the first shots of the parts that I have already: the new Sperzel Tuner fits perfectly and the drawing on paper is ready.

Now starting to look for the other parts
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 10:57:30 AM »
One more question for you owners of a 20/20: do the strings pass through the nut or there is a removable upper part to remove when re-stringing?

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 02:25:50 PM »
The strings do run through the nut. The Nut is 1.465 long, .375 wide & about .390 high. The holes look to be on center of the nut on the tuner side, with the exception of the "G" string. That one is about .150 from the bottom of the nut to center. The holes are not drilled straight through, they are drilled at an angle upward as they go towards the neck. The center screw is a set screw that adjusts the height. The two end screws adjust side to side height & stabilize the nut.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 06:37:56 PM by Grog »
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 08:36:06 PM »
The holes would need to go downward toward the tuners just like the slots in a conventional nut angle slightly downward toward the tuners.

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 03:25:08 AM »
What a complex and massive nut. It is about 1 cm high and thick (sorry guys I am not proficient in reasoning in inches) with angled holes. After many broken drills I decided to do in a simpler way, using a 8 mm high steel piece and using a file for string slots. I was able to drill the two screw holes and I will use a thinner plate above the strings. Pictures will follow. I think that I could make something similar to the original in wood but I am unsure if it would work fine.

About the body may I ask to an owner the width of  the horn (perpendicular to the neck)?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:41:15 PM by tore00 »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »
Fascinating stuff ... I find the head rather interesting ... :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 06:28:47 PM »
Hi Salvatore,
I'll take a shot at giving it to you in inches. I convert from metric to inches almost daily, but rarely the other way around!
Everything on this bass is tapered, nothing is straight to reference dimensions from so I chose frets to reference from.
The 18th fret is close to where the large radius is tangent to the flat surface on the inside of the horn.
The 15th fret is close to where the other end of the flat surface is tangent to the radius on the end of the horn.
At the 18th fret, the cutaway is .850, the horn is 1.680. (The neck is 2.155, reference.)
At the 15th fret, the cutaway is .930, the horn is 1.475. (The neck is 2.080, reference.)
It might have been intended to be the only straight surface on the bass, hard to be certain.......... Hope this helps.
George

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:50:55 PM by Grog »

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 05:31:05 AM »
A question about wiring 20/20 pickup. It has red, black and braid. I suppose that black is connected to +9V, red is the output ang braid is grounded. Could you confirm or correct? Also I found thet EMG HB works also with +18 V voltage. Any idea if 20/20 can do? I suppose that such low voltage cannot damage it but better be safe

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »
This guy sold a NOS loaded pickguard on eBay, same guy I  bought the NOS Neck from. I wonder if he still has the photos he posted? They would show you everything you need.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-20-20-Ned-Steinberger-Bass-Loaded-pickguard-pickups-control-harness-/201182941569?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ed7701181

P.S..........
As things turned out, I saved the photos that I believe went with this eBay listing for reference....... Sorry it took this long to remember...... :o

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 01:01:23 PM by Grog »

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2015, 05:03:52 AM »
Thanks a lot. Pictures clarify everything. The project is going well. I am now assembling before finishing.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2015, 05:40:31 PM »
Good. Hope you have everything you need to go forward since Jules still hasn't responded. From what I can gather from his FB page, he seems to be on extended tour in eastern Europe with the Long John Laundry Band.

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 03:39:55 AM »
I have finally assembled the 20/20 copy and I am having an issue with pickups. While the EMG HB alone plays well and the Gibson plays a little weaker and bright, but I think this is normal due to the location close to bridge, when I blend the two together the tone is weak and nasal. If they were passive I would understood that they were in phase opposition and just changed the polarity. What should I do with such active pickups? I would not risk of damage anything. Any help is appreciated.

Here are two shots of the body and the nut

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:50:40 AM by tore00 »

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 07:19:24 AM »
Looks like the project is going well. I don't know how much it would mater, but the 20/20 pickup is actually a neck pickup. The only way you can tell is the screw patterns (middle screw) are opposite between the neck & the bridge pickups.

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2015, 10:58:49 AM »
I suspect that my guess that the pickups are out of phase is correct. This site http://www.steinbergerworld.com/emg-hb.htm mentions
"Note - Pickup pairs MUST be in phase!  The later HB was designed with "normal" phase.  EMG no longer makes any stock bass humbucking pickups out of phase.   If you need to replace a broken or damaged SS with an HB, you'll need to have a phase inverter wired to one of the pickups. It's a much simpler solution and probably cheaper than ordering a custom out-of-phase pickup.  Most people usually replace both pickups at the same time, so few have ever encountered this problem in the field."

I think that I need a phase inverter.