Author Topic: Blueprints/measurements of 20/20  (Read 22706 times)

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
Re: Blueprints/measurements of 20/20
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2015, 08:03:08 AM »
Just purchased the pickup from Baz. Now I'm thinking what to do with the three pickup, since I have already purchased a EMG HB.

I was just observing that between the two pickups there is enough room for an additional pickup. A three pickup 20/20 with phase switch?
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2015, 02:27:30 PM »
I have an emg hb somewhere. I remember it having an nice extended bass response. Maybe good for the front pickup if you decide to have 3 ?
Louder bass!.

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »
Thanks but I have already 3. I started with a 20/20 neck and just one original 20/20 pickup. Then I purchased an EMG HB pickup since I was not thinking to find easily another 20/20 pickup. Then I found that the 20/20 and EMG HB are out of phase and got a EMG PI-2 phase switch (they are active and cannot simply invert the red with black).
Now I just purchased one more 20/20 pickup from ebay and discussing what to do.
But you are right EMG HB has a great extended bass response. Just in case PM me with details if you want to sell
......I know, my wife will kill me if she hears of it so please do not cc her (luckily she is not in the forum) !
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:49:54 PM by tore00 »

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2015, 08:04:06 AM »
Finally I had the time to assemble what I have collected. I finally decided to install 3 pickups, the two 20/20, sold by Baz and George and the additional EMG with phase switch.

I did all soldering, checked twice and a surprise came out. The two 20/20 pickups are not in phase! It looks that the EMG and the Baz pickups are in phase while the other one is not. I suspect that at a certain point they changed the polarity of the magnets or the winding. I can definitely ear how volume drops and sound gets thin when I increase volume of one of the two 20/20 pickups with the EMG at 0 volume. I wonder if any other surpise come out.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2015, 12:07:53 PM »
That's too bad. Could it be solved by changing where your phase inverter is placed in the circuit?

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »
Luckily I solved immediately just putting the phase inverter on the 20/20 pickup at the bridge. I realized that the Baz pickup and the EMG are in phase. Then I was sure that the one by Grog was out of phase and inverted it. Actually both 20/20 pickups are neck ones. I understood from the screws but they play similar alone apart from the phase shift.
However now she plays thunderous as I expected and can't wait to play with my new southern rock band. They are used to my Jazz and Precision basses, but I bet that they will like the 20/20 after first note. I promise to send some pictures as soon I will manage to do.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:30:49 AM by tore00 »

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »
That's odd that both pickups are the same & the one I had was out of phase....................???? I bought the three of them on eBay as spares & never tested or tried them. I think they might have been NOS. Rejects because they might have been wired backwards? Mystery!  Waiting anxiously for photos!
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2015, 05:00:02 PM »
Luckily I solved immediately just putting the phase inverter on the 20/20 pickup at the bridge. I realized that the Baz pickup and the EMG are in phase. Then I was sure that the one by Grog was out of phase and inverted it. Actually both 20/20 pickups are neck ones. I understood from the screws but they play similar alone apart from the phase shift.
However now she plays thunderous as I expected and can't wait to play with my new southern rock band. They are used to my Jazz and Precision basses, but I bet that they will like the 20/20 after first note. I promise to send some pictures as soon I will manage to do.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad the solution was simple enough.

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2015, 12:51:21 PM »
and here are the pictures of the (probably) only clone of 20/20 in this world. I definitely like her. Three pickups in parallel and a phase switch on the bridge one. It is not a pro job but I love my home made basses

And credits:
Grog for neck, pickups (Gibson and EMG), measurements and advice on electronics and nut
Baz for second Gibson Pickup and for your continuous need to make new basses
Basvarken for measurements and advice on another pickup availability and your so coooool look with a 20/20
Uwe for Ze Collection and all posts on Gibson bass including 20/20. You increased a lot my passion for Gibson basses
You all on the Outpost for all countless advices and the fun during these years
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:04:01 PM by tore00 »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2015, 12:59:49 PM »
Body looks good.  :thumbsup:
But that pickguard needs some work!  :popcorn:

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2015, 01:04:51 PM »
I know but I am lazy stressed by job and the bass plays just fine! And I bet that nobody of my usual crowd will ever complain with pickguard ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:27:57 AM by tore00 »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2015, 04:17:45 PM »
A project for a rainy day...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2015, 04:28:34 PM »
The 20/20 is such an odd beast.

I like it!

8)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2015, 05:01:28 PM »
Nice job! It's a 20/20 Custom! (being three pickups & all!) I would also bet, that it is the only 20/20 clone in existence. Congratulations!
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2015, 09:12:06 PM »
I like it!

I know but I am lazy stressed by job and the bass plays just fine! And I bet that nobody of my usual crowd will ever comply with pickguard ;D

They won't.