Author Topic: i have boomers  (Read 738 times)

nofi

• View Profile
i have boomers
« on: August 09, 2015, 10:25:03 AM »
i have 2 booming frets on my jazz clone. the 8th and 9th fret on the e string. any suggestions on how to fix this. the compressor i have doesn't seem to work on this problem. thanks.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: i have boomers
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 10:44:57 AM »
That's what you get when you buy a Jazz clone!  :mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't resist being obnoxious about Jazz basses.
Can't help you.  :-\

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:55:57 AM »
No heartache about j basses and clones here - I like 'em.

Howzabout defining "booming" a little better?

Might these be wolf notes which sound different?  The Fender necks are often said to have a wolf note on C on the G string.  The location you name is close to the C on the A string.

The Fathead (brass plate for the back of the J headstock) was invented to change the location of these - some people have tested for it by adding a C-clamp to the headstock.  It adds mass and may move wolf notes to different locations.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 12:07:57 PM »
The first thing I'd check for is to make sure one or both of your pickups aren't too close to the strings on that side. Try lowering them just a little and see if it helps at all.

It could also possibly be sympathetic vibration at that point. Sometimes a very slight turn of the truss rod in either direction will change the frequency, or putting a clamp on the headstock may help.