Author Topic: Should I trade My '65 T Bird II for a refin 1961 Jazz Bass?????  (Read 3480 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
I played a KILLER refin 1961 Jazz bass at CME here in Chicago. It's Black with a white Guard, Mid 1960's Pickups, new harness...both body and back of neck were refinned. I was wondering...would I regret trading my T bird II for it???? It's plays and sounds so good. Thoughts?

copacetic

• View Profile
Re: Should I trade My '65 T Bird II for a refin 1961 Jazz Bass?????
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 12:28:09 PM »
Hmmm... Tough one. A good Jazz (light weight , balanced , good feel and sound). How many T Birds do you have? You have to have all facets in your arsenal. A good Jazz covers a lot of basses.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 12:59:19 PM »
TBII's are getting rarer and rarer, and you cycle stuff around quite frequently, as we all know...
Old Jazz' are not as scarce but are probably more desirable, overall, so demand higher prices...
As instruments, they are chalk-and-cheese so it is an instrument in your hands and the feel it gives you...
Do you need a Jazz right now, and how soon will you regret letting the TB go...?
That's your usual conundrum...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 01:31:51 PM »
I wouldn't.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 01:52:05 PM »
One of my buddies thinks the vintage price of Fender Bolt on's is insane when you could build a better one. However...there is something to be said about OLD wood. I only own 2 T birds...One original Sunburst 1965 II and one refin Pelham Blue 1965 II. Both Reverse, both unbroken. I also have Tom Petersson's Hamer 8 string T bird. I think you're right Dave. As Much as A Cool slab Board Jazz is...Birds are SUPER RARE..especially UNBROKEN ones... But Man... SO tempting. I'd have to spend a $1,00 on a proper refin/Relic from RS..plus a celluloid guard is expensive!!! THANKS GUYS!!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 03:32:33 PM »
I'm kind of a Fenderish guy, and I would not trade a bird for a Fender...I suspect if I got to live with a bird for a number of years, I would never go back.  Of course, I need a low "B" string to play live, so it would have to be a fiver of some sort... a very rare bird.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »
A '61 J is a collector item.  if you're not going to keep it for some time, I wouldn't go for it - you wouldn't get good value from the trade.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 05:15:22 PM »
Well I've been eyeing this bass for some time....I almost traded for a slab Jazz that belonged to Kevin Costner's bass player.
I almost traded for a sunburst 1965 jazz bass but it didn't have the oval lollipop tuners that I wanted.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 05:17:39 PM »
I mean.. (Old Wood)....I guess I'd regret dumping the Thunderbird....But the neck was smooth and straight....the tone rang....

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/fender-jazz-bass-black-refin-1961-s803

:sad:

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 05:44:56 PM »
sorry to be a heathen, but there are a bunch of Jazz bass clones that would probably sound as good...am I missing something?

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 05:49:45 PM »
there are lots of good clones around but i guess baz wants the real (expensive) original.

i had a 1966 jazz back in the day. bound, blocked with lollipops. i paid 150 bucks for it with the hardshell case. :mrgreen:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 07:49:02 PM »
I LIKE VINTAGE

4stringer77

• View Profile
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 04:14:20 PM »
NOPE! Still have it...I'm broker than Broke... NO LUCK selling on Ebay anymore..No freelance work...Bad bad bad...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 02:41:16 AM »
sorry to be a heathen, but there are a bunch of Jazz bass clones that would probably sound as good...am I missing something?

I tend to agree. I would save up and get a builder to make me a tasty Jazz with all the good aspects of the refin. I would keep the TBII.