Author Topic: The jackass brays  (Read 5671 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: The jackass brays
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 01:49:24 PM »
I frankly don't believe early news reports as so many of them end up rife with errors once an investigation is completed.  I don't hunt at all myself and it is a loss for the people of Zimbabwe.  I don't get the trophy hunting, but I don't get a lot if things folks do.  However, it appears to be legal and part of conservation in some parts of the world.  I can accept that.

However, the swiftness of condemnation, death threats, public demands for incarceration based on news reports baffles me.  Arrest him or extradite him, sure.  I'm more concerned about the mob mentally we humans are displaying.  I'm in favor of due process in every case and really don't give a rip for what the Twitterverse or Ted Nugent thinks of an event.  Innocent until proven guilty is dead and we all pay a price when that's gone.

I agree with all of this, but it doesn't make Ted Nugent any less of a jackass. Nor does it make me sympathetic to Palmer for what he admittedly did. But he certainly does deserve due process of law.

The internet lynch mob phenomenon is frightening enough as is. In this case it's even worse. The First Amendment give us the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Since when do decent people petition the government to prosecute a private citizen?

As for Zimbabwe, it's run by a Leninist thug who has murdered tens of thousands of political opponents while rigging every election, looting the country's natural resources and reducing the common people to grinding poverty. But internet lynch mobs don't care about that.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 01:58:43 PM »
I think Ted Nugent is funny. I don't like his music or his camouflage hat or his chin beard...... I 100% agree with Second Amendment rights. He is definitely Not Like by a lot of people mainly because he sounds a bit arrogant. I don't really care about Ted.

As for the Killing of the Lion, we should ask the people of Africa about that:

http://conservativetribune.com/zimbabwe-truth-cecil-the-lion/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=ConservativeTribune&utm_content=2015-08-02

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 02:04:57 PM »
I grew up Hunting, Fishing, Camping, shooting. My Father was the Editor  for the American Handgunner and the Shooting Industry in the mid to late 1970's. I know what guns can do. And I know how good fresh meat tastes. But I personally am NOT into trophy Hunting. But I also do not condemn Trophy Hunters as long as they are following the laws. Their business. A Lot of Misinformation seems to be going around. I think people need to do more accurate research from reliable sources before they fly off the handle and join the mob.
Again, My $.02. Take it or leave it. But freshly Killed Venison on a Charcoal Webber tastes amazing.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 02:22:55 PM »
Whenever one does something, one needs to think, "Am I building, loving, being a positive force in the universe? or am I destroying and being evil?"...That should get you your answer here.

The thing that boggles my "accountant-mind" is that this guy paid 50K to do this. *(think...in seven years this would be 100K...in 14 years, 200K...etc.: what a waste of money to cause death)...

Oh yes, I love a good cheeseburger (preferably with a good beer). That lion was not feeding a family.  What a waste of a life.

FWIW, I have always thought Nugent's music sucked.  Amateurish changes...no melody, no redeeming social value. Not even "fun."

Of course, your mileage may vary...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:39:06 PM by patman »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 02:28:25 PM »
Ted Nugent is a moron.
Never cared for his music anyway. But that's besides the point.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 03:15:30 PM »
Rather curiously, circa 1982, Ol' Ted did a two shows in one night at the Hammersmith Odeon, in aid of WWF... raised more than a few eyebrows...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 04:56:36 PM »
The overreaction of people sometimes leads me to despair about their so-called intelligence.  Death threats and such are totally unwarranted and are one of the most asanine things people do.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 05:13:34 PM »
People are more outraged by the Lion than Planned Parenthood selling aborted baby body parts. What's wrong with this picture???

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 06:09:42 PM »
People are more outraged by the Lion than Planned Parenthood selling aborted baby body parts. What's wrong with this picture???

Let's not go there.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 06:15:13 PM »
The overreaction of people sometimes leads me to despair about their so-called intelligence.  Death threats and such are totally unwarranted and are one of the most asanine things people do.

There's another Walter Palmer in the phone book here. 80 year old retired guy who's no relation to the dentist. He's been receiving vile and threatening phone calls from idiots who won't believe him when he tells them he's not that Walter Palmer.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »
There's another Walter Palmer in the phone book here. 80 year old retired guy who's no relation to the dentist. He's been receiving vile and threatening phone calls from idiots who won't believe him when he tells them he's not that Walter Palmer.

That happened to me in the early 90s.  I had just moved into an apartment on the Gulf Coast.  But the person who lived there before me had the same last name as a dictator who suddenly was in the news every day.  After about 4 or 5 days I told the phone company they were going to have to give me a new number.  In my case, I'd say the majority of the calls were made by people under the influence of alcohol. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 07:21:35 PM »
I .......

As for Zimbabwe, it's run by a Leninist thug who has murdered tens of thousands of political opponents while rigging every election, looting the country's natural resources and reducing the common people to grinding poverty. But internet lynch mobs don't care about that.

Corruption abounds and the people of Africa are starving.  So someone with deep pockets comes along and offers you fifty years of wages to help track and kill an elephant, rhino or whatever.  You and your family are starving so you go with the lets not starve option - fairly simple concept really.  All the while the thug dictators and "presidents" are building palaces while civil wars rage and people starve.  I did hear a report that the owner of the guide service who worked with this guy was arrested today.  He'll take the fall and the dentist with deep pockets will most likely skate.

I'm with Patman - $50K for a trophy?  What good could you have done with 50 large? 

And, for the record, I've defended Terrible Ted in the past but this time I guess senile dementia or early onset Alzheimers is catching up to him.  He's jumped the shark - even for me.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 11:14:15 AM »
Rather curiously, circa 1982, Ol' Ted did a two shows in one night at the Hammersmith Odeon, in aid of WWF... raised more than a few eyebrows...

Even idiots, ala blind squirrels, get a nut sometimes. Ted fancies himself a conservationist because he maintains large herds of African grazing animals on his ranch in Texas. He claims to have more impala on his ranch than in all of Africa, and at least in that case, it was Ted using his celebrity to grease the wheels to build said herd. I don't even care what he had to say about the lion; as he has demonstrated far too many times already, everything he says is bullshit designed to draw attention and incite further stupidity.  I'll not indulge it.

The poaching is indefensible on the part of the dentist, however,  the sped and power with which the internet can now create and incite a completely uninformed lynch mob is an advertiser's, politician's, and oligarch's wet dream and a responsible citizen's nightmare. People literally starve in the streets in this country and the outrage over poaching a lion somehow is more important.  Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large numbers. To make an apt analogy, at least the wildebeest herds in Africa don't take their cues on where to run from the lions. Out techno-addled society does whatever the glowing box tells it to.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 01:55:21 PM »
Amen, Brother... Amen...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2015, 07:23:29 PM »
Even idiots, ala blind squirrels, get a nut sometimes. Ted fancies himself a conservationist because he maintains large herds of African grazing animals on his ranch in Texas. He claims to have more impala on his ranch than in all of Africa, and at least in that case, it was Ted using his celebrity to grease the wheels to build said herd. I don't even care what he had to say about the lion; as he has demonstrated far too many times already, everything he says is bullshit designed to draw attention and incite further stupidity.  I'll not indulge it.

The poaching is indefensible on the part of the dentist, however,  the sped and power with which the internet can now create and incite a completely uninformed lynch mob is an advertiser's, politician's, and oligarch's wet dream and a responsible citizen's nightmare. People literally starve in the streets in this country and the outrage over poaching a lion somehow is more important.  Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large numbers. To make an apt analogy, at least the wildebeest herds in Africa don't take their cues on where to run from the lions. Out techno-addled society does whatever the glowing box tells it to.

Right on target and eloquent, too!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!