Author Topic: Thunderbird shootout.  (Read 24956 times)

patman

• View Profile
Re: Thunderbird shootout.
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2015, 01:05:49 PM »
I like it that the thread of logic is pretty "loose" around here.

I also enjoy the fact that most everyone is pretty much the same age as me...give or take ten years or so. So be it.

I'm a confirmed city boy, but I remember when I was a little kid coming in from playing outside on Saturdays to watch whoever was on "Hee-Haw" that week.

Probably where I acquired the banjo fetish.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:11:27 PM by patman »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2015, 01:50:56 PM »
... and re PBG ... he's one of the most knowledgeable amp guru's around, bar none, down to the solder... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2015, 01:59:38 PM »
Fair shout, every forum has a different vibe.  ;D

If y'all real nice I'll tell you how I got banned from Talkbass.  :sad:

Apart from Heesey, some select Wishbone Ash live cuts, Nirvana (eek) and isolated bass tracks from Who's Next and Quadraphenia, where can I hear some nice old Thunderbird basses in the wild?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2015, 02:05:54 PM »
You may be in good company with some on the site here then... but you will also find several that haunt both (not me - happily tucked in here; nice an' cosy)...

Spill, kindly... ;)

As for T'Birds, there's a lengthy thread that's easy to find that will keep you in videos for a week or more... unless you have an inordinate amount of spare time...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2015, 02:12:39 PM »
Quite a boring tale actually... I had an account on there for a few years and racket up a healthy number of infractions. That account was registered with my college email address, and when I graduated I lost my login details for the email system, which was then synched up with Office 365. I set up another Talkbass account, somehow get checked out by the mods a few months later and end up getting banned for having a duplicate account. No wiggle room there!

Spare time is something of a luxury.  :o

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2015, 03:56:53 PM »

That's why most of us are here LOL
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »

Apart from Heesey, some select Wishbone Ash live cuts, Nirvana (eek) and isolated bass tracks from Who's Next and Quadraphenia, where can I hear some nice old Thunderbird basses in the wild?

The solo bass intro to Mike Watt's "In the Engine Room" sent me off on a tone quest that led me to the old Dudepit and thence to this forum. It was played on a non reverse II (with added preamp, but I personally don't think it matters much whether your EQ is onboard or off).  Easily findable on YouTube...my phone is not letting me paste the link for some reason.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2015, 06:39:37 PM »
Is that an inferiority complex I detect?  :bored:

Not sure why you are posting this shit in my thread about Thunderbird basses.

I started it - 'twas me.  One kinda cute Japanese Girl slapping at a bass as big as long as she was tall - recipe for derailment ;)  In my defense she was on the side bar of your original Youtube post though.  Occasionally we stray into Gwenyth Paltrow territory instead Ritchie Blackmore though.....

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2015, 08:05:35 PM »
I stand squarely for the right of the forum to ignore my attempts to digress into Dick Dale territory!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2015, 08:13:45 PM »
We LOVE to go off topic here. Definitely one of the things I enjoy about this place. We cover a LOT of ground with topics and usually bring the discussions back to the relevant points eventually. Much more relaxed here and that makes it soooo much better to hang out here.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2015, 09:06:58 PM »
We LOVE to go off topic here. Definitely one of the things I enjoy about this place.

The best part is that there are only about 6 or 7 topics we go off to - which makes it easy to keep up
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2015, 09:26:02 PM »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2015, 02:13:14 AM »
Speaking of Ritchie Blackmore, I have to vent a little. Great player who definitely brought a lot of speed into the hard rock world, paving the way for shredders, but he smashed guitars in the weakest most pathetic manner. Most smasher guitarists used the thing like a pickaxe, but Blackers always limply threw the thing around by the neck then bounced the headstock off the stage until it broke. Pretty boring. I watched that Rainbow live video once, where he has Taurus bass pedals onstage and slowly, and tediously, smashes a black Strat.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2015, 06:04:33 AM »
The solo bass intro to Mike Watt's "In the Engine Room" sent me off on a tone quest that led me to the old Dudepit and thence to this forum. It was played on a non reverse II (with added preamp, but I personally don't think it matters much whether your EQ is onboard or off).  Easily findable on YouTube...my phone is not letting me paste the link for some reason.

Got it:

It's a very weird album and not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but it works for me.  And I LOOOOVE that opening T-bird bass sound.

Some later tracks on the album also feature a T-bird IV ... I asked Watt about it long ago on talkbass (when he was still there) and got this reply:
http://www.talkbass.com/threads/bass-sounds-on-the-opera.100502/

This was also the album (and tour) that introduced me to Nels Cline, who is now my favorite living electric guitarist. I am in awe of that guy.  He's now with Wilco, who I'm not that interested in, but I always like to hear Nels play.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2015, 08:28:40 AM »
Fair shout, every forum has a different vibe.  ;D

Try Glenn Cornick era Jethro Tull and Wild Turkey. Doobie Brothers too. Rainbow on the Down to Earth tour with Graham Bonnet (sound gets better in the process of the clip, hang on).

Or Eloy (though that is a Bicentennial)!

Not to forget ole Bootsy who got Martin Turner hooked on a broken Bird in the first place:

Plus Herr Way:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:17:30 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...