Author Topic: Chroming up black Thunderbird hardware.  (Read 3202 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Chroming up black Thunderbird hardware.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 10:31:16 AM »
Play the beastie first and decide carefully on where you go... there are some good pups in some of these clones...

You will almost certainly need to rout...

My PC has a MB (ta OMC) in the neck slot and the bridge used to have a PC humbucker (rip) that had an EMG for a couple of decades, then my damage RD Artist pup, then I routed out to take a '76 TB casing (ta Lady V) with the skinned RD inside... I've had a gold Lollar TB to fit for a couple of years now, but I'm not the quickest of workers...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 11:45:16 AM »
I would rather not route.   :-\

My latest wheeze is to put PJ pickups in my Jazz bass. I had a custom pickguard made up, but routing into Fender wood gave me the absolute fear.

The Jazz bass is probably worthy of this forum as I've stuck a lefty neck on it, ala Glenn Cornick.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 03:23:34 PM »
I've only played Tokai Fender clones, but they were all fine basses, just stock from the factory .  No need to do anything.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 02:51:04 AM »
   I have bought a number of those pickup covers and mounted Dimarzio Model Gs in them with great results. Chrome you say? I make both the bridge and Pickup covers (ashtrays) for Thunderbirds I'll post pics later today.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »
It is now yesterday's tomorrow, God of Thunder!  :mrgreen:

I've got the bass in front of me now, and I've replaced the pickguard screws and machine heads with chrome variants. It already looks happier. These basses come with highmass Badass-style bridges, again in black. I've had a 3-pointer on an Epi EB-0 bass, and if I had to pick a favorite from either the 3-pointer or the BBOT, I think I would get kicked off this forum, have to think about it for a while...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 07:51:16 PM »