Author Topic: Chroming up black Thunderbird hardware.  (Read 3203 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Chroming up black Thunderbird hardware.
« on: July 29, 2015, 02:26:38 PM »
Hello all,

I'm getting bad GAS for a white/cream Tokai Thunderbird. I quite like the contrast of the black hardware, but I quite like the chromed out look of the originals. There is a seller on Ebay that has empty T-bird pickup shells and pickup rings for sale. How easy is it to bury the Tokai pickups in the shells and mount the rings etc?

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: Chroming up black Thunderbird hardware.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
Welcome young "chromling" we have much to share with you!  Beware of dark forces that lurk hereabouts  :vader:

Seriously, discussed all over the place here - it's been done and done well.  Not sure on the Tokai pickups but I know that other plastic pickups have been converted.  Folks will speak up presently - there are a few methods that have been done.

Just remember, rule one, CHROME SOUNDS BETTER!  ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 11:41:35 PM »
All this chrome nonsense is bad for the environment... :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 11:04:28 AM »
The Tokai pickups seems to be quite deep, whereas the covers appear to be quite shallow. Is there a good workaround for this?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »
You don't need all that hight. Most of the pickup will sink into the body.

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 03:49:15 PM »
Is preferring black to chrome a symptom of growing up in the 80s? As much as I like looking at chrome on old Gibsons, I dig black hardware on everything.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:46:42 PM »
How easy is it to bury the Tokai pickups in the shells and mount the rings etc?

I'm not sure about the Tokai pickups specifically, but a couple folks here had done this with black Gibson TB+ pickups - literally prying the black plastic covers away from the epoxy potting, and stuffing the remaining pickup innards into chrome/nickel covers.

I had followed their lead on my BaCH Thunderbird back-dating project.  If it helps, some photos can be found here:  http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=2773.90

I'd recommend being emotionally prepared to completely destroy a pickup in the process  ;D.. but that said, it was actually pretty easy and painless with the Gibby pickups.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 07:26:43 PM »
Is preferring black to chrome a symptom of growing up in the 80s? As much as I like looking at chrome on old Gibsons, I dig black hardware on everything.

:vader: UWETIC!  :vader:  Next you'll be saying that black plastic sounds better! >:( 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 08:50:35 PM »
IIRC Mark was one of the first, if not the very first, to peel off the plastic covers.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 11:19:37 PM »
For the Artec humbuckers on a BaCH you only need to round off the (plastic) corners a bit. The chrome (or nickel) casing will be a perfectly tight fit. Even the mount holes are aligned.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 04:49:57 AM »
I don't yet own a Tokai Thunderbird so I don't have the pickups in front of me to study. I've pulled apart about a dozen cheap soapbars at this point in time, and often 'epoxy potting' is nothing of the sort! I suppose I could bury the coils of the Tokai pickups in something like Envirotex Lite, within the chrome covers sold on Ebay? That way madness lies. I would also have to check that there are other aftermarket pickups that fit the Tokai routes.

I purchased an Epi T-bird body off of Ebay last year which is slowly turning into a Thunderbird II Fenderbird with an original WRHB as the engine. The previous owner routed it (with a flathead screwdriver and dremel sanding wheels) for some aftermarket chrome T-bird pickups and it looked like the pickup routes needed a fair bit of widening to accommodate vintage repro pickups.

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 01:28:57 PM »
:vader: UWETIC!  :vader:  Next you'll be saying that black plastic sounds better! >:(

Heh, I should have put a smilie on there or something... Since I've never gotten to play a "real" Gibson with either of the pups in question, it's purely a cosmetic thing here.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 06:55:05 PM »
I think Herr Fraulien took a little modelers saw and circumcised a Gibson soap bar if memory serves me right  ???

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 07:03:10 AM »
I peeled a damaged RD Artist pup to put in a TB for the PC for aesthetic purposes, but that's coming out if I ever get round to fitting that gold Lollar I have...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 02:55:16 AM »
Well the Tokai is purchased, so watch this space. The first step will be to probably put a chrome bridge and tuners on it and see where I end up. The pickups appear to be narrower soapbar types, which raises a question for me.

When you have chrome '60s Thunderbird pickups, do they sit on the surface, given that they look about as thick as a modern cell phone, or do they sit in routes? Would I need to route out the pickup cavities wider, or just have the pickups sitting in their cavities with a wider pickup cover straddling the route, like a Mudbucker?