Author Topic: My Trials Aren't Nearly as Bad as Some, But They Suck Nonetheless  (Read 2620 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
20 odd years ago I was in a non-serious car accident that still ended up wrenching my back and neck pretty well. I've had lower back issues ever since, along with some limited range of motion issues in my neck and sporadic tingles in my left leg and arm (not the Chris Matthews kind). I had great meds for four years and they were a godsend because they eliminated all my symptoms and made normal life possible, but once doctors started getting weird about writing that prescription I just said screw it and got used to the pain.

Over the years I've mostly chalked all this up to the aches and pains of getting older, but about four months ago I woke up with my left arm tingling and half of my left hand (from outside middle to pinkie finger) weak and numb. Long story short, the doc thinks it's nerve and possibly disc issues in my neck. PT didn't help so next up is probably an MRI and then who knows. In the meantime, I can't really play at all. All the strength and dexterity in those fingers is gone. As good as he was, I've now developed an even greater respect for Django Reinhardt 'cause I just can't do it with two fingers...

It's gonna suck if I have to sell basses to pay for that MRI. That being said, I'm grateful for my overall health because other than that, it's pretty good. I hope you guys that are going through health or other stuff (some we know of, some we don't) get through it all with your life and humor intact. It's hard to be cheerful when you feel like sh*t. Lean on your loved ones and be grateful for what you have, my friends.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: My Trials Aren't Nearly as Bad as Some, But They Suck Nonetheless
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 08:51:40 PM »
Sorry to hear this, George. My cardiac MRI last December was $1320 and 80% of it was covered by insurance but I understand they can be a lot more expensive depending on which procedure is used.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 12:08:09 AM »
Sorry to hear about this George. Hope the situation will improve for you soon.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 01:58:47 AM »
I don't believe this is going to be permanent - have that MRI first and then we'll see.  I was going to add "on Obamacare hopefully", but I didn't want to rattle your convictions, ole Rep.  :-*  8) Get well, George.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:55:25 AM »
I know exactly what you are going through.  My car accident in 1981 left me with 75% use of my left arm.  In the last few years I played,  I also found that I would lose all the feeling in my left arm as I played.  The seven minute set I did last fall - I played the last 3 minutes numb.  It was a hard  decision when I chose to quit playing, just as you are for now, but it was the right thing to do.  Playing music is something that should bring us joy, not pain and frustration.
You have my empathy, and I agree with your outlook.  Life should be so much more than just strings and notes.  It's our loved ones that makes it all bearable and worthwhile.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 04:03:32 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear this George.  I know what you are going through.  My brother-in-law has had neck disc surgery four times over the last twenty years.  It can be a difficult thing to manage and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.  Stay positive, be hopeful.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 08:55:23 AM »
Thanks guys!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 09:41:56 AM »
George, hang in there...hopefully it will all turn out well in the end. 

I certainly hope you don't have to sell any more basses.

Pat

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 10:13:22 AM »
George, I had a similar problem with my left arm and hand due to a pinched nerve in my neck. My whole arm and hand went weak and numb. I couldn't play or do much of anything else with it. Even one push up was impossible. Acupuncture and chiropractic neck adjustments to keep the nerve free from impingement helped me to heal and regain the strength in my arm over a few months. No surgery. It's been 4 or 5 years now. Sometimes it acts up but not to a debilitating level. I get my neck adjusted a few times a year and it clears right up. It's certainly worth investigating and way cheaper than an MRI and, God forbid, neck surgery.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 11:20:48 AM »
George, I hope there is a solution.  I wish you the best!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 12:44:12 PM »

George, I do hope there's a solution and that you'll be feeling better soon - Don't sell basses!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 03:55:37 PM »
Bummer... and wrong side of the pond too... this doe not help but I'll post it because it shows the difference between our respective cultures...
Jackie had something similar and all treatment was under NH... started with CTS which was operated on to resolve as steroids failed to resolve... years later she started to get the same symptoms in her hand, along with muscle wastage... had to have an MRI, then a decision was made to have a cervical foraminotomy... that's a vertical cut down the back of the neck, spread the flesh away from the spine, then de-burr the bone (calcification in her case) where the nerve passed through... a risky op but it worked... she has a "zipper" down her neck now...
The numbness is still partially there as nerve damage did occur over the years, but she has pretty much full use...
Sorry George, but J says it sounds awfully familiar... check the musculature of your arms for any wastage...?
Positive vibes...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 03:59:17 PM »
I have intermittent numbness in two fingers of my right hand due to a nerve impingement issue somewhere in my neck.  I went to a physio a few times, and acupuncture helped as well, and some of the exercises that the physio showed me also give me some relief.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 04:24:27 PM »
Cripes godspeed George!

As far as the MRI - shop around!  Even with insurance you can find deal - I know of several people that made many phone calls and found a place that would cut big bucks off of the price.  In one instance when they called the place the doc wanted to use they matched the best price.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 06:26:36 PM »
There are some great ideas here. I may try a chiropractor before going the MRI/surgery route. I should note that PT helped a little bit; just not enough to let me play much better. I'll keep up the exercises just the same and see how things go. You guys rock. Thank you.