Author Topic: Trains again???  (Read 1075 times)

66Atlas

• View Profile
Trains again???
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »
So I recently had to meet with one of my neighbors after being elected to my HOA board of directors. First off if you are ever asked to take on this thankless task I encourage you to run the other direction and apply for a job at Gibson.... you will find it much more fulfilling.

On the plus side I got to see his back yard and it was pretty incredible.  I snapped a few pics figuring that some folks here might enjoy it.

The pictures really don't do it justice. His yard is basically a granite wall 75 feet across and the train snakes across the entire yard.  I has a couple of waterfalls, a tunnel and a gold fish pond. Who wouldn't want this backyard??! Sadly I've spend too much on basses to ever afford it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Trains again???
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:26:38 PM »
It helps to have a mountain-range to build it on... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:31:51 PM »
Its pretty much a miniature version of the Himalayas back there.  All i get is grass to mow twice a week.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 04:02:21 PM »
That's making a feature out of a problem!  A lot of good work went into that.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 04:09:09 PM »
Outdoor train set - that's a lot of track maintenance :-)
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »
I have an overwhelming desire to dress a Godzilla and show up unexpectedly some evening...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 03:38:55 PM »
Naw, I wanna be William Holden. Or Alec Guiness.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 03:45:31 PM »
But could you live with the regret...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »
So because of the HOA, you had to tell him to remove all of it because it doesn't fit in the neighborhood plan, right?  :rolleyes:  :mrgreen:
My parents lived in a neighborhood with an HOA and their stories made me feel OK about living in the middle of a bunch of cornfields.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 06:01:18 PM »
I hate HOA's. The worst part is when you live in neighborhood that has one you are forced to get involved to prevent the crazy's from taking over.  The Trains are safe though since they cant see them from the street.  Safe until mothra attacks anyway....

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »

Those large outdoor trains are lots of fun - my buddy Bill (the same guy with a '66 GTO, 3 early'70s Firebirds and 6 1967 BSA motorcycles) has a fairly good sized set of these out in his yard, it's lots of fun to BBQ and run trains while drinking beer!   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 03:32:15 PM »
I hate HOA's. The worst part is when you live in neighborhood that has one you are forced to get involved to prevent the crazy's from taking over.  The Trains are safe though since they cant see them from the street.  Safe until mothra attacks anyway....

We have a good HOA where I live.  I was on the board for a half-dozen years but there got to be so many lawyers on the board that I didn't re-up.  They were going over everything ad nauseam with a huge concern for creating precedents.  I was more concerned with solving problems and getting things done on a practical basis. I didn't have the time to agonize over everything. Fortunately, the results of the board are still good and it's not the kind of group that runs around measuring the height of the grass in your yard with a  ruler.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 03:00:51 PM »
  That is more than awesome!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird