Author Topic: NHBBD (New hollow-body bass day!)  (Read 5928 times)

leftybass

• View Profile
Re: NHBBD (New hollow-body bass day!)
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 08:16:27 AM »
And of course a cool thing about the Douglas, even though it's 32" scale it will fit in a case for an EB-2/Rivoli.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 02:07:04 PM »
And of course a cool thing about the Douglas, even though it's 32" scale it will fit in a case for an EB-2/Rivoli.

And that case will cost you more than the bass  :P

As for long scale strings on a shortie.  I have been doin it for years (TI Flats).  The only brand I 've had a problem with doing this is Pyramyd (see the thread on that), so contrary to the above (it's a problem with flats) I'd say it's a problem for heavier guage round core strings (even with the pyramids the only problem was with the low E string, which are a heavier guage than TI flat long scales).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 03:46:47 PM »
Yep, still lovin' this bass. I haven't even messed with the action, even though I think it's a little high. I still hate the strings though. I'm afraid I'm gonna set it down in the case and push the strap button thru the back though- anybody here ever "mod" a gig bag? I have some Vinyl left over from recovering my gramma's dining room chairs (bright red!) I can put in there, but what else to give it at least some protection? Cardboard, wood veneer, etc? Rondo says the hard cases are still out of stock. I had my Hofner for at least 8 years before I ever found even a bag for it (acoustic 12-string gig bag, what the tag said it was at least)
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 02:58:39 PM »
In case I haven't plastered these pics up here enough already, here goes:
I've always liked EB-2 style basses. So far I've had ...

Himmel, talk about a repeat offender!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 04:28:01 PM »
O'Fender...? is that the Cork or the County Clare O'Fender's...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 02:07:42 PM »
So I got my "Carlo Strings" the other day, and had time to install them today. (Kids back in school, yay!)

They were all plenty long.

I don't know what kind/brand of strings this bass came with, but the ...ball ends? The circular metal things at the end of the original strings were about half the size of what the Carlo strings came with. I had to loosen the tailpiece to get the ends underneath it.

It all snugged back down fine though.

I took the bridge off when the strings were off, mostly so it wouldn't fall off and my 2-year old hide it or something. THe individual saddles are just kind of "pressed" in, there isn't a screw adjuster or anything. I had to make sure they didn't move while it was apart, cause I'm not sure how I'd get them back in in the right place... I'm sure I should have it intonated now, assuming I can find somewhere reasonably close to me.

It sounds nice, I REALLY like the flats on it better than the rounds it came with. I'm letting it settle for a day or 2 before I mess with it.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »
Looks great, and hopefully those flats give you a classic sound.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 04:46:27 PM »
Rondo ships all their basses with those small ball ends.   Allparts round wounds have them , too.  That's why I think the flats are made in a different factory.

Glad you got it sorted out!

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 03:59:35 AM »
Spaking of interesting hollowbody basses.....

Here is one from my stash of 8-strings. An Espana branded 8-string from 1967.
Believed to be a Prototype built by Landola in Finland for Hagstrom back when they were developing the original 8-string bass.  The Landola company pre-dated Hagstrom and taught them how to build the hollowbody Viking series and/or build some of them for Hagstrom. So, one of the very first 8-string basses ever built....possibly THE first, if Hagstrom tried the hollowbody idea before going with the final H8 solidbody version.

This is NOT a conversion. It is a factory original 8-string with a SET TWO-PIECE NECK !!
So, not one of the Italian made bolt-on Espanas. The biggest expert on these brands confirmed it to be a "very rare Landola-made prototype."

Hagstrom used the Espana name for its higher quality Swedish and Finnish made classical/electric guitars and the Espana name was used in the U.S. to import electrics made in Italy, which were bolt-ons. They eventually moved production to lower cost Italian made ones.

The original tuners have been replaced with more modern ones. Real nice quality bass.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:06:33 AM by mc2NY »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 08:26:28 AM »
Spaking of interesting hollowbody basses.....

Understatement! That is super cool.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 01:50:30 AM »
http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/modells/instruments.php?katID=4622&cl=EN&modellID=90&instrumentID=408

Last week I saw this one in Markneukirchen again. Also a late '60s 8-string bass.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2015, 11:46:45 PM »
^^^^^^
You saw it at the Framus Museum.....or someplace else for sale?