Author Topic: NBD  (Read 3741 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
NBD
« on: June 28, 2015, 07:04:05 AM »
Since I first decided I wanted to have a Rickenbacker bass, years and year ago, I desired a white one, with black pickguard, TRC, and bindings. Since that time I bought and sold several Ricks. A mapleglo '76 4001, a jetglo '76 3001, a mapleglo '76 3000, a white '76 3000 and a '74 mapleglo 4005WB. All gone now. Some years ago I bought a very pretty '73 mapleglo 4001 from my friend Bert. It had all the desired features like chequered bindings, a toaster-pickup, wavy-tuners and full width inlays. I played that great sounding beauty, the MA 010, a lot with The La La Lies and you can see me with it in the Rickenbacker Bass Book.

But Bert wanted his baby back and he bought a bass some months after selling me the MA 010, which was also offered to me. This is a '78 and it has a great but not officially documented past. Paul McCartney's right handed roadie bought it new to soundcheck Macca's backline during the Wings days. After that it ended up in the famous London Abbey Road Studios, where it was used as a recording bass. Who knows on how many recordings this bass is...

After some thinking Bert and I did the swap today. He has his baby back, back where she belongs. I have the long desired white 4001. 'No regerts', as Stu Hamm would joke. It's more of a workhorse than the '73 with its fragile tuners and I love it. I just installed a so called treble bezel, a pickup surrounding with a built-in thumb rest. The Souldier strap is the finishing touch:)

I would not have done the swap, if it wasn't for Bert. He always regretted selling me the '73 and he just needed it back.

https://www.facebook.com/Chrispdekker/media_set?set=a.10153226111478855.1073741856.543603854&type=1

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: NBD
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:14:55 AM »
It's a beauty, no wonder you went for the swap. And you're both happy.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:08:34 AM »
What a beautiful bass! I've been enjoying the pictures on Instagram & Facebook but posting here. I love black trim and that white is really nice. My first and most beloved Ric is a '76 - the late-'70s Rics seem to be overlooked sometimes but love mine!

How do you find the pickup strength? Mine are very low output but I love the sound of them.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »
Very cool!

Sometimes it's refreshing to change things up.

I had a '78 for ~25 years.  An unbelievably great Ric (even though I've read people saying '78 is a year to avoid; lesson=never work in absolutes).  I picked it from a flock of about one dozen being heavily discounted at a store back in the 80s.  Only sold it because I never really did get along with MG visually.  Had it been opaque/BT like your's I'd still have it, but I finally let go of it for a JG '73.

Congrats- that's quite a history it has as well!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 02:58:32 PM »
Congrats, Chris. She's a beauty. If you have ever looked at my avatar you know I have a soft spot for white 4001's  ;)

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 01:00:57 AM »
Thanks guys! Since day 1 I started playing bass and I 'discovered' Rickenbacker I love the white ones, with black and chrome. Don't know why but I love off white Fenders with black or tort too.

I would've never done the swap if it wasn't for Bert having his baby back. I loved that '73 too, we did a lot of gigs together and I'm in the Rickenbacker Book with it. Or maybe because I am, I always got the memory.

This white one sounds really, really good! I don't compare outputs that much, but imho lower is better that hotter. You hear more bass. Too low can be a problem. But I think this one's just okay, pickup balance is even and I already love the treble bezel

One thing  now for sure and that is that this bass is bought of Abbey Road, when they had a big clearance. Hope to find out more about her history. Not for selling her more expensive, but just because I'm a curious bass journalist:) Keep y'all posted of course.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 01:12:13 AM »
BTW: seeing too many Warpaint pics isn't good ;) made me wanting a white one even worse.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 08:17:05 AM »
My first love. A '79 in white with black and chrome. LOVE that look!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 08:58:16 AM »
:)

Did I say I love the Treble Bezel I installed? And it looks good on this bass too!

Pic from the net:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 02:58:49 PM »
 Great story, beautiful bass! Sounds like you guys both made out!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 08:45:11 AM »
EDIT: More news about the white Rickenbacker. The first owner was the bass player of Dexy's Midnight Runners and you can hear the very bass in their massive hit single Come On Eileen:)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 09:45:43 AM »
That is so cool.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

LoEndMaestro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 01:55:28 PM »
Nice bass & an even better story! I have a 1978 Rickenbacker & I love it. I think it was a great year....

Congrats.