Author Topic: A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum... er... shops...  (Read 2584 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Anyway, I hadn't been into our local town for about a month or so and we like looking in the charity shops for a wide variety of items, so, when we walked into one of our regulars what should I spot but a GK Backline 115, priced rather reasonably at £80/$125...
Somewhat out of place, and no instrument to test the beastie so er... couldn't resist...

Tried out with the PC (Mud mode) and the fretless Jazz and very pleased with the results... heavy ol' son-of-a-Gallien though... :o

Surprisingly wide range of sounds and the beastie can certainly handle full Mud, with overdrive, and at volume...! :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum... er... shops...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 01:12:34 PM »
Coaxing the squirrels out of the trees?

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 01:52:16 PM »
Driving them nuts, more like...

Spot the peanut shells in the pictures...! :mrgreen:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 04:54:40 PM »
I've seen a couple of those recently for about $150 so I'd say the price was reasonable.

Maybe 10 years ago I played a Backline head in a music store that had it as their demo amp. Clean channel sounded very nice, didn't care for the distortion channel at all.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 07:27:34 PM »
pro tip w/ the tilt-back cabs:  Set them straight upright (not tilted) for a ton more room-filling bass :)

Tiltback mode is great when you want more highs aimed at your face without being very loud to the other players, can be nice for recording... but when I used to practice in a studio with the 2x10 variant of this amp, I found I was much much happier playing it not tilted.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 01:15:26 AM »
Ta for the tip... I'm probably keeping this for my proposed rehearsal space but may use it in conjunction with my MAG300 (4x10) as a second speaker... lots of time to play around with her as not looking at trying to get back to playing until relocated...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »
That Hartke would make a great rig to leave at someone's place where the band meets for practice.  That's what I've done with my old heavy Bassman 120 with a 15" speaker...left it for now at the drummer's house where we practice most often.

I've been thinking about one of the new Fender Rumbles in the 60-100W range. It's not that my Genz Shuttle 6.2/T12 is heavy (36 pounds), but the Rumble 100 is only 22 pounds, and even easier to tote for a practice session...and I wouldn't have to move my main rig around.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 11:09:45 AM »
I've got wheels on almost everything but not sure where I'd put any on this... it's got nice handles, but then again, so has my Marshall 4x12... :o

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 02:34:22 PM »
I think a decent quality folding hand truck with bungee is the way to go, one size fits all.  There are a lot of them out there.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 03:36:47 PM »
 :mrgreen:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
I think a decent quality folding hand truck with bungee is the way to go, one size fits all.  There are a lot of them out there.

Abalooootely.  Those are extremely handy.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 12:48:37 PM »
Abalooootely.  Those are extremely handy.

And only about $30 here for a 125  lb capacity.
I do not know how to convert the price or weight restrictions and am not too concerned.  ;)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 05:14:58 PM »
I have an old "commercial" one I acquired from a dumpster some years back... it had just gone rusty is all... spare set of wheels off another one in the same skip...