Author Topic: Life after cover bands - 6 months in...  (Read 6031 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Life after cover bands - 6 months in...
« on: June 11, 2015, 08:34:45 AM »
So patman's post about leaving the music biz gave me the idea to share my recent experiences. After 8 years of 50+ shows per year, I have now not played a gig in 6 months. For various reasons, I decided to step away. And funny thing - I had been uninspired to write for years, but once I made the decision to get out of cover band-land, I started spewing ideas like crazy! I'm LISTENING to and DISCOVERING more music, I'm GOING to more shows, and I'm WRITING again. It's been good. Kind of a relief from the day job/family/gigs grind. I didn't need that extra $15K a year anyway...  :o :sad: :P

So a guitar player friend and fellow prog fanatic that I've known for 30 years and I are finally doing the prog project we've been talking about for a few years now. We're sharing writing duties. I'm doing bass, synths, and vocals. He's got a Roland setup on his guitar. I found a really cool electric violinist (7 string through a guitar rig), and recruited the drummer from the last original band I was in (Ivory Wire). I'm still trying to find a name everyone likes.  :-\ I've realized I have a lot of great resources available too - people who are willing and eager to help out. Really GOOD people - producer, live engineer, photographer, web designer, booking agents... Even though, at the end of the day, this is "for fun", I still intend to make it as top quality as I can. There are some good venues in Chicago for this kind of thing, and I have some possible "ins" as local support for national acts. We have a ton of stuff written. Things are moving VERY slowly due to availability (drummer and violinist), but I plan to record 4 songs ASAP, then get some live shows under our belt before recording another half dozen or so. Very exciting and inspiring stuff!

I've got 1 "sub" gig this summer with a band that does all Zep, Aerosmith, VH, and AC/DC. I may return to that world some day, but for now, I'm enjoying some time off!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Life after cover bands - 6 months in...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:22:47 AM »
Congrats - this is exactly why I stay as far away as possible from cover bands. 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 09:34:46 AM »
Unfortunately, in Cincinnati, if you want to play (and get paid)...it's pretty much got to be a cover band.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 09:37:41 AM »
I made my choice.  There's day jobs for a living.

Original bands can get paid anywhere as long as you draw and avoid shitty venues.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
I'm glad this works so well for the OP! Nice to get rejuvenated.

Myself, I love playing "covers", which i simply regard as proven music that the audience and i both like.  It's great to play stuff that people recognize and want to hear, but it's not for everyone!  To each their own.,
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 03:08:15 PM »
i hate cover bands. seems like a waste to spend your time and talent playing other peoples stuff. its even worse if you cop a rock star attitude being in a cover band.

i don't get it. :o
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 03:13:34 PM »
Interesting news... prog band names have to be suitably pretentious, or subtly straight...

:popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 03:15:06 PM »
I take a lot of pride in playing in a cover band...

most of what we do is good music done well.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 04:11:28 PM »
Yes, I play in both.  The cover band/s allows us to get tight as a unit, make good money to buy quality gear, and get comfortable performing in front of large crowds.  All of that translates to killer live performances when we play our original gigs, because we're gigging all the time in one format or another.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »
Yes, I play in both.  The cover band/s allows us to get tight as a unit, make good money to buy quality gear, and get comfortable performing in front of large crowds.  All of that translates to killer live performances when we play our original gigs, because we're gigging all the time in one format or another.
that sounds cool, is it exactly the same band?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 05:12:24 PM »

+1

It's fine to choose one or the other, or both. Do what suits you.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 09:33:57 PM »
I take a lot of pride in playing in a cover band...

most of what we do is good music done well.

That's it.  Back in the big band era, every band had their version of favorites of the day.  No one argued with that - I see playing popular music as exactly the same thing: our interpretation of the hit.

I am also pleased when people write original music, and I appreciate that. Good original music is a fine thing.  Sucky original music would, IMO, be better off replaced with "covers."

I don't look down my nose at either, nor do I agree with the attitude of those who do.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 10:33:45 PM »

I agree.  No need to make it into a false dichotomy. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 05:14:48 AM »
Agreed, you can do both...

But if the originals are not excellent music, I personally would rather play covers that are excellent music. Playing amateurishly written originals is to me, worse than playing in a mediocre cover band.

We do the typical dance set stuff...but we try to play good quality tunes...

We do some oddball stuff, and people seem to love it because it's good music...