Author Topic: Where would you put the second pickup?  (Read 3590 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Where would you put the second pickup?
« on: June 04, 2015, 08:56:55 AM »
I'm going to do some 2 pup models soon. I like the sweet spot placement of then pup.  I'm debating with myself about the second.  Should it go above the one closer to the neck, ala EB-2 mud city?  Or down by the bridge?  There's room in either direction!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Where would you put the second pickup?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
Neck (maybe move that one back a smidge... do you know that is the sweetspot or is that an estimate?).

I've just never been a fan of bridge pup clank.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 10:23:50 AM »
Bridge, probably halfway between current pup and end of bridge.  IMO that's where most of your customers will want it.  You can just route the neck pup and add the second route if/when you need it, unless you're planning on having someone make complete bodies.

It helps to be as flexible as possible.  With a custom business you can use whatever pickup your customer wants...unless you're planning to place a big enough pickup order to get a discount (12 sets from Seymour Duncan, for example, 60% off list when I bought 24 SSBs.  That buy in gave me the right to buy onesies of any SD pickup at that discount, except Antiquities).

It's good to know the 'sweet spot' for the different pickups you use if you decide to offer a choice.   Your suppliers should be able to supply that info.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:02:05 PM »
Neck (maybe move that one back a smidge... do you know that is the sweetspot or is that an estimate?).

I've just never been a fan of bridge pup clank.

The sweet spot in terms of string vibe excursion and also pretty much the same spot at a vintage TB.  There's a cool web site (can't find it right now in my Bookmarks) that lets you determine the harmonics of string vibes based on scale.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:04:42 PM »
Bridge, probably halfway between current pup and end of bridge.  IMO that's where most of your customers will want it.  You can just route the neck pup and add the second route if/when you need it, unless you're planning on having someone make complete bodies.

It helps to be as flexible as possible.  With a custom business you can use whatever pickup your customer wants...unless you're planning to place a big enough pickup order to get a discount (12 sets from Seymour Duncan, for example, 60% off list when I bought 24 SSBs.  That buy in gave me the right to buy onesies of any SD pickup at that discount, except Antiquities).

It's good to know the 'sweet spot' for the different pickups you use if you decide to offer a choice.   Your suppliers should be able to supply that info.

Thanks Carlo.  I'm leaning toward your suggestion.  I really don't want a pup up closer to the neck.  I would, on a custom build put two on top of each other if that's what the customer wants.  But I'm leaning toward just building for now and selling them as I like em.  Customs can come later down the road.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 12:10:35 PM »
The sweet spot in terms of string vibe excursion and also pretty much the same spot at a vintage TB.  There's a cool web site (can't find it right now in my Bookmarks) that lets you determine the harmonics of string vibes based on scale.

So the sweet spoit does not vary by bass (wood, construction etc)?  I thought it did, and that's why, for example, a TBird II and a P don't have the pup in the same place.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 01:23:55 PM »
So the sweet spoit does not vary by bass (wood, construction etc)?  I thought it did, and that's why, for example, a TBird II and a P don't have the pup in the same place.

Yep, there's a reason a MM pickup is where it is.  Wood has a little to do with it but pickup physics are more important.

Actually TBird and Jazz are pretty similar.  This is my 60s TBird pup template placed over a modern jazz body.  A 60s Jazz would be even closer, the bridge pup is another 1/4" toward the neck.

I would, on a custom build put two on top of each other if that's what the customer wants. 

My mantra is, "It's commerce, not art."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 02:32:16 PM »
I have always been a little puzzled by all the talk of precise sweet spots since the harmonic content at the pickup location will be different for every fret on the neck.  Isn't it just whatever people think sounds good empirically?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 02:48:08 PM »
I have always been a little puzzled by all the talk of precise sweet spots since the harmonic content at the pickup location will be different for every fret on the neck.  Isn't it just whatever people think sounds good empirically?

That's what I thought too. When you fret a note, the pickup's location relative to the stopped string length will change.

I'd position them like a Stingray HH.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 03:34:05 PM »
Pup placement on a 60's TB...?

Is that with or without a BadBird...? ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 05:07:08 PM »
Both
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 05:18:37 AM »
Yeah thanks Carlo, most folks have figured out the spot where pups seem to work best.  I'm gonna put the second one toward the bridge.

Thanks guys!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 07:24:34 AM »
Rickenbacker pickups are centered directly at the 24th and 36th "fret" harmonics, and I've found I like that positioning. I also like the vintage T-bird spacing a lot, but you lose some low end.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 08:22:12 AM »
Rickenbacker pickups are centered directly at the 24th and 36th "fret" harmonics, and I've found I like that positioning. I also like the vintage T-bird spacing a lot, but you lose some low end.

Makes sense.  I assume you're talking about the 4003.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 07:29:10 AM »
What about taking a page from Carlos's book of tricks and dummy up a test body?  Meaning, make a quick body out of soft pine and drill/rout it for your neck and bridge setup but then add a large swimming pool rout between the neck and bridge - you can place the pickup(s) anywhere you think they may work and test them out.  Different pickups may like different locations - this would take a lot of guess work out of the equation.