Author Topic: Dumb question  (Read 2936 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Dumb question
« on: May 28, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »
I'm using a Gibson style pup ring on my basses and one side a bit taller than the other.  So, does the low side or the high side go towards the bridge?  You'd think I could figure that out! ???
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 10:23:06 AM »
The high side goes toward the bridge. Keep in mind that these are made for instruments with a neck angle, where the pickup sits higher off the body on the bridge side to stay at the same distance from the strings. If you have zero neck angle like a Fender, you would need a pickup ring with the same height on both sides.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:46:15 PM »
Time for some judicious filing, methinks...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »
I reduced the height of the chrome cover for the mudbucker on my EB-0 by mounting the finished side to a wood block, installing the sanding disc on my Shopsmith and holding the open side against the sanding disc.  Simply test fitted at intervals until the height was even and correct.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:00:24 PM »
You guys are correct.  Gonna put it on the bench sander and level her out.  The TV pup won't work with other rings, it has to be this one.  More work, yeah!   :-\

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 09:24:56 PM »
You guys are correct.  Gonna put it on the bench sander and level her out.  The TV pup won't work with other rings, it has to be this one.  More work, yeah!   :-\

Are you sure? If it's the TV Jones humbucker mount version, it ought to work with any standard humbucker ring with Gibson dimensions. You can find them flat,  slanted or slanted and curved.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 04:49:12 AM »
Are you sure? If it's the TV Jones humbucker mount version, it ought to work with any standard humbucker ring with Gibson dimensions. You can find them flat,  slanted or slanted and curved.

Positive.  I have some Gibson hum bucker rings.  The TV pup is pretty much the same width, but it's noticeably narrower and looks goofy in the Gibson ring.  Just a little too small for the hole.  Of course TV doesn't  make a flat ring for their pups.

It's not a problem to sand the bottom off, just wastes a few minutes.  At least it fits nicely once done.  I'll do one today.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 06:02:33 AM »
Well, it took about 5 minutes.  Used double-sided tape to attach to block.  The sander worked well.  It actually heated up the plastic a bit and the melted burrs snapped right off. I cleaned the edges with a scraper.  No other detail work needed.  It looks great and does the job.  Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 11:18:23 AM »
Another manly and appropriate use of power tools!

8)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »
Looks really good together...

A QC question... the inner edges of the cut-aways...? what's the plan for those...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 04:56:36 PM »
Looks really good together...

A QC question... the inner edges of the cut-aways...? what's the plan for those...?

If you mean the funky f-holes, I was gonna leave them as is.   They have a light coat of paint on them.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 04:56:58 PM »
Positive.  I have some Gibson hum bucker rings.  The TV pup is pretty much the same width, but it's noticeably narrower and looks goofy in the Gibson ring.  Just a little too small for the hole.  Of course TV doesn't  make a flat ring for their pups.

It's not a problem to sand the bottom off, just wastes a few minutes.  At least it fits nicely once done.  I'll do one today.

I understand now. The pickup will fit in a Gibson humbucker rout but needs TV's own ring.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 12:47:53 AM »
Thrown open point, but I'd blacken the inner edges, to highlight the slots rather than leave them "fading" in...?

Have you thought about pricing range yet...?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 03:16:01 AM »
I understand now. The pickup will fit in a Gibson humbucker rout but needs TV's own ring.

Yes.  TV pups are drop in replacements on guitars but you need his rings which have the correct ring mounting holes for Gibson guitars.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 03:28:25 AM »
Thrown open point, but I'd blacken the inner edges, to highlight the slots rather than leave them "fading" in...?

Have you thought about pricing range yet...?

Good point guys.  Since the top is .25" thick, the edges are more obvious.  On the thinner tops you don't even notice it.  So, flat or shiny?

As for pricing,  I'll add up all of my costs and start from there.  Off the top of my head I probably have at least $700 to 800 into it.  I'm going to follow the Carlo model and keep my prices lower as I want to establish my brand and move up from there.   It's costing more than I imagined but it's to be expected with small volume building.  I'm certainly not going for the over the top pricing of a Lull or similar.  I'd take a production Fender over one of those!  At least mine is not just another clone of easily obtainable basses.  I think something unique is important in a crowded market.  It just can't be too weird!