Author Topic: The Thrill Is Gone... BB King... RIP...  (Read 3641 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: The Thrill Is Gone... BB King... RIP...
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 07:35:25 AM »
RIP Mr. King.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 08:00:23 AM »
Tributes from musicians and others.

http://www.nme.com/news/bb-king/85425
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
I saw this posted elsewhere about BB:

"...strictly a flat picker, didn't play acoustic, arpeggios, rhythm, chords in general except for the occasional double stop or triad, and totally entrenched in the blues, but what he did he did better than anyone else, IMO.

What I take away from his playing is figure out what you do well and perfect it, and above all else, exercise restraint, good taste, intelligent phrasing, and impeccable technique, all of which I won't achieve in my lifetime..."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
I saw this posted elsewhere about BB:

"...strictly a flat picker, didn't play acoustic, arpeggios, rhythm, chords in general except for the occasional double stop or triad, and totally entrenched in the blues, but what he did he did better than anyone else, IMO.

What I take away from his playing is figure out what you do well and perfect it, and above all else, exercise restraint, good taste, intelligent phrasing, and impeccable technique, all of which I won't achieve in my lifetime..."

Agreed.  You don't have to shred to be a solid musician. You should play in a style that fits you and pleases you.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 11:46:41 PM »
Was it Townshend, on Billy Gibbons, who said he "... was the sort of guitarist who'd play one note where a lesser player would play half-a-dozen..." ?

Regardless of where I heard/read it, the soul of the quote would still fit... BB probably hit-more-notes in a night than most would hit in a lifetime...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »
"What I take away from his playing is figure out what you do well and perfect it ..."

I thought I had invented that! Be awe-inspiring about a few things so people don't ask you about the other stuff ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 07:15:02 AM »
a couple of king's daughters now claim he was poisoned buy some business partners. coroner says no.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/26/entertainment/bb-king-death-allegation/
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »
Serialisation in the papers to follow... :rolleyes:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 07:45:03 PM »
I don't believe that. Not for a minute.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 04:33:26 AM »
Who would want to poison an 89 year old man?

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 07:05:06 AM »
I read that he left most of his estate to a foundation furthering music ed.
The family only received around $5,000 each.

That seems to explain it to me.  :o

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 08:50:20 AM »
I have the unfortunate observation to make that whenever a black artist dies, the behavior of his/her family tends to be no cause for celebration (Hendrix, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston).  :-\
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:00:28 AM by uwe »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 11:12:41 AM »
I wasn't aware that BB had multiple kids with multiple partners.  That can be pretty well guaranteed to muddy the waters (pun intended.)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Uwe, most of what ills the black community can be traced back to Lyndon B Johnson's war on poverty and the institutionalization of welfare in America. The family unit suffered since the community now depended on the government to fill the supporting role that a working father figure should. Margaret Sanger's establishing planned parenthood has for instance, resulted in more black babies being aborted in New York city than are born for the last few years (Black Lives Matter!). Top this off with the CIA directly involved in flooding the urban areas with illicit drugs such as Heroin and Cocaine and the results are what you see in America today. Democrats have been race baiting with the help of Obama, Eric Holder and Al Sharpton not to mention the backing coming from George Soros and we now have Baltimore in a state of criminal decay with the police being held back from enforcing any order. Really it's all part of the bigger picture for a one world government trying to assert itself by tearing apart the social structure in order to rebuild it according to their own globalist tenants. Divide and conquer. Burn baby burn. Another Bolshevik style communist revolution with a fascist dictator at the helm. Anyhow that's my 2 cents. Sorry to get political but if a moderator chooses to make racially charged statements, I figure it gives the rest of us free reign.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 02:54:50 PM »
All i can say Uwe, is that the above comments represent the view of one side of the political spectrum in the US.  Most of the assertions in it are highly questionable and debatable.

But since we are champions of the right to have different views, I salute the writer and his view!