Author Topic: Well I THOUGHT it was done...  (Read 15793 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Well I THOUGHT it was done...
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 05:21:10 PM »
Yup. I cut strings about four finger widths past the tuner, bend the last 1/2 inch of the string 90 degrees, insert that into the post, and wind DOWN from the top of the post. The closer to the bottom of the post the string is when it departs, the greater the break angle over the nut - which is a good thing. Having a few wraps around the post isn't a bad thing either.

Remember the sage advice of my dad when cutting strings: "No matter how many times you cut it off, it's still too short."

Start with the strings cut a bit on the long side, as you can always make 'em shorter.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 05:33:42 PM »
Yup. I cut strings about four finger widths past the tuner, bend the last 1/2 inch of the string 90 degrees, insert that into the post, and wind DOWN from the top of the post. The closer to the bottom of the post the string is when it departs, the greater the break angle over the nut - which is a good thing. Having a few wraps around the post isn't a bad thing either.

Remember the sage advice of my dad when cutting strings: "No matter how many times you cut it off, it's still too short."

Start with the strings cut a bit on the long side, as you can always make 'em shorter.

I use mostly D'Addario EXL on customer basses.  I cut about 2.5 inches off the E and leave rest uncut.  Works great for maximum break.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2017, 12:46:49 AM »
Neck pocket size Carlo may be able to advise on as he has/had... Jazz necks are quite "skinny" (flat) and there are some variations on P neck profiles...

A link for Fender neck profiles explained...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2017, 07:50:59 AM »
Fender necks do not fit Hondos, at least not without modification. The Hondo neck pocket is a little wider.

Fender spec necks are for Fenders. They don't even fit G&L, much less metric spec imports.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2017, 12:40:23 PM »
Fender necks do not fit Hondos, at least not without modification. The Hondo neck pocket is a little wider.

Fender spec necks are for Fenders. They don't even fit G&L, much less metric spec imports.

It may depend on the era.  I replaced the neck on this Hondo 830 series 'Fame' without modification.  I still have the original maple neck, heel is 2 7/16", same as AllParts and within tolerances for Fender.  No slop in the pocket.

With AP P neck installed and everything else switched out.

Sold it to a friend after I installed a Fender Japan Jazz neck and a DiMarzio.  It developed the typical edge to tuner hole crack so I switched THAT out for an AP Jazz.  Body is a beaut but heavy.  Back in the day we called it Sen, Japanese ash.

Here's my other Hondo, same neck, same problem. 870 series.

After recently seeing a Dan Erlewine vid on straightening necks I was able to get the Red Head neck quite a bit straighter by clamping backbow into it and adding shim washers to the trussrod.  Previous to that I hadn't used any washers and maxed out the rod.  Luckily I didn't snap it.  I dig the headstock!

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2017, 03:48:46 PM »
Strings exit from the BOTTOM of the shaft, not the top.

THat makes total sense now. Thank you! I will try to re-wrap these when I'm home next.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »
That red Hondo looks nice! The "Fame" ones are newer than what I have (from my semi-educated guess), or at least their "nicer" series of stuff, the one I have is the same as the hundreds of "off brand/no name/Ibanez/whatever basses, I've seen tons of different branded, but identical looking ones online. Maybe I could find a neck from one of those, if this one gets more out of whack...
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2017, 04:14:52 PM »
That red Hondo looks nice! The "Fame" ones are newer than what I have (from my semi-educated guess), or at least their "nicer" series of stuff, the one I have is the same as the hundreds of "off brand/no name/Ibanez/whatever basses, I've seen tons of different branded, but identical looking ones online. Maybe I could find a neck from one of those, if this one gets more out of whack...

Between the two of us we've owned three...and they all have bad necks.  What are the chances of finding a good one?  I'd measure the neck pocket and find something else to fit it.

Good luck with the string re wrap!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2017, 05:33:39 PM »

THat makes total sense now. Thank you! I will try to re-wrap these when I'm home next.
That tort makes your logo explode Carlo

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2017, 08:07:54 PM »
I stand corrected. I've never seen the Fame series before. That should be called the Sam Eagle headstock.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2017, 05:50:55 AM »
That tort makes your logo explode Carlo

Thanks, it's another cheap trick. I needed to match the pickguard on a bass.  There's no thin tort I know of so I shot a pic of the blank, photoshopped the logo on it and had the local copy shop laserprint it on white vinyl label stock. 

Then applied it to some thin styrene.

I stand corrected. I've never seen the Fame series before. That should be called the Sam Eagle headstock.

I haven't seen any other Fames, Dave, I don't know how rare they are.  It's more the logo I like than the headstock shape.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Daan.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2017, 06:57:41 AM »
Blame that on me as it was my suggestion... :mrgreen:

Info is always valued though, especial when useful and factual... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...