Author Topic: The South will never be the same again  (Read 9733 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: The South will never be the same again
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2015, 04:34:51 PM »
I'm stuck on a Motorola ES400 brick... I enjoy demonstrating it's dropability survivability but somewhat sadly have yet to be let down... I do know they do not like immersion in liquid... that totalled one...

I still have a mains-powered Makita drill that was accidentally dropped into a vat of hot caustically soapy water and all parties lived to tell the tale... that drill's now circa 25 years old...

Jackie and Roshina are still using iPhone 3's...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2015, 09:02:16 PM »

I still have a mains-powered Makita drill that was accidentally dropped into a vat of hot caustically soapy water and all parties lived to tell the tale... that drill's now circa 25 years old

My Makita drill and circular saw are 31 years old. I've never bathed them, though.  ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2015, 09:09:13 PM »
I have a Craftsman 3/8" VSR drill that I bought used from a ski shop going out of business in about 1982. It's still hanging in there and works fine. I have no idea how many sets of bindings it installed before I got it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2015, 08:28:41 AM »
i guess dave wins the battle of old tools. ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2015, 09:16:33 AM »
i guess dave wins the battle of old tools. ;D

I'll bet a number of us have tools from grandparents and such.  Some of them (like square-jawed wrenches) aren't of much use anymore.  I have an orbital sander and 3/8" single-speed drill that are both solid metal cases and probably date to the 50's. Heavy tools, for sure.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2015, 03:35:18 PM »
My user planes are up to 100 years old. I can buy new ones that are as good but they are boutique things that cost a fortune.  I think the most I've paid for one is $50
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:00:21 PM by Lightyear »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2015, 04:23:03 PM »
i was only talking about power tools. probably most of us old hand tools from long ago family members.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2015, 05:15:57 PM »
I've got a Bridgeport mill from the late 40s if that counts  :o

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »
i was only talking about power tools. probably most of us old hand tools from long ago family members.

True, but how many of the old tools that many people have are relegated to collecting dust on a shelf of, gasp, being wired to wall as decoration?  All of my old tools are well tuned, scary sharp and used used constantly.  I have some of uncle's power tools as well - most if it early 60's or late 50's - they're a testament to what we used to manufacture right here in the states.