Author Topic: Changes afoot at Fender Japan  (Read 3574 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Changes afoot at Fender Japan
« on: April 01, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
Note the message on the home page http://www.fender.co.jp/

No, not an April Fools joke. A couple of weeks ago at TDPRI someone posted a screenshot which a Japanese member translated. Seems Kanda Shokai will no longer be distributing Fender Japan products as of April 1st. Kanda Shokai apparently owns one of the manufacturing plants too, so what this means isn't clear.

Fender Japan was originally a partnership between Fender, Kanda Shokai and Yamano. I don't know if that's still true.  It's possible that FMIC is taking over distribution. But even if that turns out to be true, it doesn't really tell us whether Japanese-made instruments will still be available here. Obviously we'll have to wait and see.

rahock

• View Profile
Re: Changes afoot at Fender Japan
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 04:16:28 AM »
The reissues that have come out of Japan the last few decades have all been outstanding in my opinion. Some I like better than others, but I like them all. It would be a shame if they were no longer available :sad:.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 02:05:27 PM »
The new site is up now (at the same URL), and it looks very much like Fender's USA site, so my guess is that FMIC has taken over marketing and that the old Fender Japan partnership is done for.

I notice in the series list for each instrument there's a Japan Exclusive series, like this one: http://www.fender.co.jp/basses/precision-bass/?series=japan_exclusive -- these don't appear on Fender's USA site. So things have definitely changed. It remains to be seen whether dealers like Ishibashi will still be able to export.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »
Here's the latest, from a writer who has figured out at least some of what's happened.

Where Did Fender Japan Go?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 03:12:22 PM »
Very interesting!  It seems the blueprint has been in place since 2012, and Fender put it to work.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »
Seems so. Either both Kanda and Yamano failed to meet their sales quotas or FMIC bought out the contracts. I'd guess it was the latter, but who knows. 

No evidence any factories will close since there wasn't a Fender Japan factory. Instruments were made to spec by different factories over the years. Those factories will probably go on making whatever other brand instruments they made. And maybe some of them will still be Japanese Fenders, e.g. the Geddy Lee Signature, unless they plan on moving its production to another country. Hope not.

The Japan exclusives are now gone from the website. The offerings are pretty much the same as in the US.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 09:12:29 PM »

No evidence any factories will close since there wasn't a Fender Japan factory. Instruments were made to spec by different factories over the years. Those factories will probably go on making whatever other brand instruments they made. And maybe some of them will still be Japanese Fenders, e.g. the Geddy Lee Signature, unless they plan on moving its production to another country. Hope not.

Maybe the firms that did the production for Fender-Japan will pull a Mastumoku and start cranking out Fender clones. They certainly have the skills to make first-class copies.  Could be a second round of "lawsuit" instruments, although Fender probably can't sue for anything but headstock copies.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 09:25:58 PM »
Why make instruments in Japan when all the Fukushima radiation you need has already reached our west coast? Free glow in the dark pickguards are coming soon. Sorry if that's too morose. Cheers gang.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 09:38:49 AM »
Those factories will probably go on making whatever other brand instruments they made. And maybe some of them will still be Japanese Fenders, e.g. the Geddy Lee Signature, unless they plan on moving its production to another country. Hope not.

I'm pretty sure the Geddy basses (among others) were built at the Fuji Gen factory in Japan. Great stuff. They're now being made in Mexico.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 01:55:27 PM »
The Geddy is now MIM? That and the disappearance of the Japan exclusives from the Fender Japan website probably means no more MIJ Fenders.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 07:42:49 AM »
Yeah, I don't know the exact timeline, but after a quick search, it seems it's been at least a year. They also have a US version now. Both have a "Geddy Lee signature High-Mass bridge" instead of the Badass II. The US also has a thicker neck.  ???

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 12:03:12 PM »
The Geddy MIJ//CIJ's stopped production there almost 4 years ago now and have been Made in Mexico since. Interestingly enough I did not see a big difference overall. The black block markers used to be actual inserts on the fretboard but went to paint on about 10 years ago.. The MIJ/CIJ Marcus Miller sig also stopped about 2-3 years ago as well. The 5'ver was always USA. Have not checked the website recently but are they making the 4 in USA or Mexico now? I did try out the new USA made Geddy a couple of weeks ago and it sounded like the wood had been under water iow a dud sounding instrument. I know of course they can vary but now a good start. I will say for the most part over the last years the USA and Mexico instruments out of Fender have been pretty good. It will be interesting tomsee how Fender goes forward.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 08:49:20 PM »
I thought the Geddy always had painted markers. My older son had an early Geddy that had painted-on blocks. Not sure when he bought it but it wasn't new when he left it with me in 2003 while he was stationed overseas.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 09:11:56 PM »
FWIW, my Marcus Miller has pearloid inlays.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 08:22:13 AM »
I always assumed the black ones were painted on. I think mine is a 2006 and it's just great. I had tried to get it to "fit in" with my Rics and Gibsons by putting some more aggressive DiMarzios on it, but ended up liking the sweeter tone of the stock "American Vintage" pickups better, even if they do have a lower output. I really don't play a Fender much, and if I do, it will be for the whole night. No need to give ALL my basses the "rip and destroy" tone!  :mrgreen:

Marcus is endorsing some other brand now - http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2015/01/25/marcus-miller-teams-with-sire-guitars-for-new-signature-basses/